WTf is wrong with mY cpU

Technology1

Solid State Member
i just finished building my own computer, piece by piece. I turned it on and it worked good, for the time being. I tried to install windows only to realize that it was the upgrade version and not the full installation version. I decided to quit, pressed f3 as indicated and the computer said that it will now shut down. It did. Problem is now when i turn it on its not responding. Just a black screen with the cursor blinking....did my computer die?! I tried restarting it 2 times and still its just a black screen....i hope my mobo isnt fried....

yes i have, i just got word tho that i need to reset the bios, since the bios has no info to load its just sitting there idle. i now need a bios boot disc wich i dont have..hopefully this will fix my problem.

Your new motherboard should have a manual that will tell you where the CMOS jumpers are located at. There's only like two pins you have to short out to reset. It's usually located close to the battery somewhere. You need to have a jumper to do this too. My Gigabyte board didn't come with one so I have to get my spare out and stick it on the pins if I ever need to reset it.

ok its the bios jumper your talking about I believe. Resetting it should fix my problem as i recount manually shutting off my cpu after i quit from the windows installation, possibly corrupting my bios. only problem is now i need to find a power cable for my floppy drive, and download the recovery bios files from intel. i only pray that this will fix my computer.

No No No...

DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is not, I repete NOT the problem. RESET the bios. Resetting the bios does NOT erase it just sets it back to factory defaults.
1> unplug the system from the wall.
2> move the cmos jumper to the reset position. wait 1 min.
3> move cmos reset jumper back to where it was.
4> plug power cord back in.
5> boot up.

Flashing the bios can be a real disaster if you have no idea what you are doing. Your bios is not corrupted just because you clicked the power off or had a install of xp go bad. If you get hit with a good power surge or zapped it with static then that's a different story. I don't think that applies here.

ok so by reseting the cmos jumper do u mean to remove the battery and place back into the mobo, or move the bios jumper to reset and then to the normal configuration.

Back
Top Bottom