computer & math

catmouse

Beta member
I've noticed schools require lots of math and science if you want a CS degree. In your experience, have you used most/all of the math and science that you learned in college in your programming jobs? What math / science is the most useful? Least useful?

This not a school forum by the way, I am not meaning tio be rude but i think this should be in the social loubnge about schools, Sorry but i may be wrong!!

I'll clarify. Obviously algebra, geometry, and calculus are needed. My question is how much calculus do you need? Many schools require loads of higher level math and physics. Is that truly necessary? Have you found use for all of this math in your job/programming experience? For example, what math do you really need if you want to program video games? Systems? Business Applications?

a lot of math is used in most branches of cs. you should easily come up with examples yourself: game ai, physics engines, graphics. and what about proofs? one has to show that a given algorithm will work for all cases its creator claims it does.

Back
Top Bottom