internet security software

perron

Beta member
I am getting internet for the first time. do I buy new security software or do I just down load free software? and what kind is better?

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Well, you could buy security software, but there are many you can download.

If you have Windows Xp and have Service pack 2, you'll have a basic firewall while you search the web for some, unless you download them on the computer your using now and copy them to disc.

1. You'll need a firewall (better than the windows one to stop hackers, etc from accessing your pc),

2. Antivirus (Stop viruses and Trogans in there tracks),

3. Spyware remover (To remove spyware + trackers which only clog up your system, and evades privacy by sending data to what you do on your PC back to companies, including how you use software if a software company has it hidden in a program, to view results. Some can also be harmful, sending more personal data off...)

I'll post in a minute with more details

EDIT:

This is a great free firewall and I use it on mine:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

This is a good free anitivirus too. Just make sure you keep it updated:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

The last one, the spyware remover. I tend to use spybot - search and destroy as it's very reliable (needs updating regulary):

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Another one is Adaware made by Lavasoft, which is also very reliable (Also needs updating). Some people actually use both, because if one doesn't get something, the other will :) Becareful with the settings:

www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Honestly, these are the best freeware around I'd say for protection, and I'm sure some of them are even better than ones you buy, though ones you buy give you more support.

Freeware is your friend though. Remember that

If you were to buy one, I'd choose Norton SystemWorks, which contains antivirus, and loads of other protection features too, like backup facilities

I Hope this helps

I don't really like zonealarm because it eats up too many system resourses esp. on older PC's.

AVG is good, used it in the past, but I like Avast home edition because it checks for updates, downloads them, and installs them and plays a message "Virus database updated".

For my firewall, I use windows firewall in SP2.

So if you like an easy life, use Avast, if you like doing everything for your antivirus, use AVG, also another 1 I like is AntiVir, but it dosen't seem to like XP to much (not even the xp version)

Edit - remember to thank Kage and I if any of us help you!

The firewall that comes with SP2 which i mentioned though is no where near good enough for safe internet operation... i wouldn't say so.

Zone alarm, I find okay, and doesn't seem to slow me down at all, even when I had the old 1.2GHZ system set up.
It's one of the safest ways, and the only freeware I can think of except for the service pack 2 one... eek.
Could it on yours possibly be trying to work both? Though it should automatically switch it off.

As for Avast, I've never used it, and that could be better yeah.
I used to use AVG before I got Norton System Works, and didn't find it that much of a problem, though I understand why it would be confusing in places.

I guess you just have to be regulary updating, manually or automatically. Though I'd rather be sure and do it myself if you get me...

EDIT: Hehe, thats one way of telling them I guess... though it'd seem fake then :p "Yeah thanks... erm... you really helped me...thanks" lol

this is just my personal view:

i brought Norton Anti-Virus 2005 the No.1 Virus scanner and Norton Personal Firewall a good bit of software. its up to you what do you want, i am sure there are good free firewalls out there (NOT SP2).

If you want a free Virus scanner get AVG its the best look for my post in called "so, you think you have a virus" <<< Search for it.

Yeah, the Norton set is definetly the ones to go for if you want to buy the protection :)
Otherwise the ones we have all posted are perfect for any Internet use.
Yeah, i really do not advise to use the Windows Firewall at all...

Back
Top Bottom