Windows 98 doesn't show CD Drives in explorer

numinbah

Solid State Member
G/Day every one,

Because I had to replace my Motherboard I had to reinstall Windows 98 befor I could install Win XP upgrade. Problem is although the two CD drives show up in the bios and also on the bootup screen they do not show up in explorer. I can't load the Win XP CD.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Technoman,
Have tried to boot from cd (remember this is an upgrade) it will not do it
I the problem is you have to insert your old Win 98 during upgrade
and the upgrade doesn,t recognise it I think it may be a copy and not the real thing, Win 98 that is.
So much for spending £89. for Win XP Pro which I was told would install over a dodgy copy of Win 98. Good job I have another machine.

Thanks for your advice anyway

Have you tried formatting the win 98 and then installing win xp?

Hi Kage.
Thanks for your imput. Because I am trying to put the Win XP Pro UPGRADE onto a newly formated drive I have to upgrade from something in my case it is Win 98, in normal circumstances this would not be to much of a problem I would start up Win98 (I would of course have to install Win98 first) insert new Win XP upgrade disk into the CD Drive click on that drive and Win XP should ask me if I want to upgrade (I think!! )
Thats my problem there are NO CD DRIVES SHOWING IN EXPLORER in Win 98 and I dont have any idea what to do about it. I seem to remember some years ago that if you lost your CD drive you had to add a line to the config file but I can't remember what.
Any idears

Ah I get you now. Sorry, I didn't know you couild buy updates from other operating systems, though I'd have to be a pretty big update to go from win 98 to XP.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupgrade.asp

Found this though that explains i am wrong and that you can :)

As a precaution, you could try running autorun, since it might have a boot up sequence which I think it does.
To do this though, you'll have to be able to see your cd rom drive in the device manager (which you might be able to do and as long as it's llisted in here, its installed right...its just windows being crap :) )
Right click on My Computer, and go to Properties.
Go to the Device Manager Tab.
Open the Cd rom branch from the list
Select the cd rom, and go to properties, and choose settings.
Turn on the auto insert notification option.
Click okay, and restart windows.

Hopefuly this will work, and even though its not viewable in Explorer (might be somethnig to do with how its managed by windows), it'll hopefully boot from the cd rom and view it automatically when you place the disc in.

If not, try going to 'run' in the startmenu, and type:

x:\autorun (x being the cd drive letter, which it's suppsoed to be)

I hope this helps

Hi Kage,
Thanks for all the help you are giving me I'm realy glad I joined these forums.
I am unable to see my CDs in Device Manager. I have tried to auto run but this dosen,t work either.

If Technoman is reading this thank you for your help too. I have had no problems at all with any of my CD Drives in the past. This all started when I discovered I had a pirate copy of Win XP on my machine, I made a few phone calls to find out the price of Win XP full version (((after I had picked myself up from where I had fallen in disbelief))) I decided to buy the upgrade following the advice of the shop that I had gone to, who said that I would be able to upgrade from Win 98. So I uninstalled my copy of Win XP which was working perfectly formatted the disk reinstalled Win98 so that I could upgrade to Win XP AND HERE I AM STUFFED.......I am begining to think that there is a problem with the motherboard which I changed at the same time, although as I said before both of my CD Drives show up in the bios and during start up.
Thanks again

No probs :)

It is a very weird problem that.
From that compatablility thing i read about win 98 having some compatablity issues even if you do convert, lead me to believe that it might not be the easiest option to get WINXP back.

How much is it more to get a clean copy of XP compared with an upgrade? It might be worth going the extra mile.
In that case, you wouldn't have the CD drive problem, because I'm thinking it could be the fact that WIN98 could never install all the drivers from scratch 100% and needed some input from the user.

So this leads me to thinking that your cd rom drives, though in bios, are not installed (especially if they are not in device manager) because bios would read them, but windows wouldn't.
I will look for a standard cd rom drive driver.

What drive make/model do you have?

We'll get it working soon :D

As I said before thanks for all the advice and help that has been given since my firsr post..

I am now up and running Win Xp pro (upgrade) but I have to tell you I cheated.
I got fed up with going round in circles and not realy getting anywhwere
finaly I did something that realy screwed up the system and got caught in a loop.

I had another machine with Win 98 on which did show the CD in Explorer. so I moved its H/D over to the machine I was trying to set up having taken out the original H/D which was 160Gigs, Unfortunatly the H/D I moved was only 8 Gigs ( If you have any information on what would be the best way to transfer Win XP over to my original disk I would be obliged)

Everything went OK except for the drivers etc, and also some trouble with a file called NDIS, The machine I transfered from was 2.1GHz
the new one is 2.8GHz which is to fast for NDIS. If anyone has trouble with this file let me know I have the answer. All I have to do is to set up internet access printers etc and I will be home and dry.

Thanks again for all your help

I know where I'm going but I have't a clue where Iv'e been

Back
Top Bottom