Help Please!

antzsta

Baseband Member
I have a problem with my computer that, ive got two 512mb ram exlier and with i put them in my computer, after a while my computer either slows really down or turns its self off. SO i have taken them out. Also what would you recommend as good antivirus software at a reason price.

My computer is running of windows xp version professionl 2002.

My computer AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
1.67 GHZ
256MB RAM 2700 it is smansung

THANK YOU! Anton

Cheers mate, i have tried one stick smae things happens could it be that elxier and the samsung do go or somthing like that. but ill check the heat thing like you said thanks

Are you sure the ram is running at the same speeds as the Samsung ram? (2700?)
If it isn't, and the new ones are faster, then they will all be slowed down to the slowest ones speed, but shouldn't affect stability.

As for using differnt makes on the same computer, I'm not sure, though it shouldn't cause a problem I wouldn't think.

Try taking out the samsung ram and putting the new ones in instead to test if the problems stop. If so you have found the answer, which would be a clashing problem.

It couldn't be something wrong with the new ram chips, since you've tried only one in, unless you've tried the same one in that might be faulty. It might be worth swapping these around and test it as well

hope these ideas help :)

antzsta said:
Cheers mate, i have tried one stick smae things happens could it be that elxier and the samsung do go or somthing like that. but ill check the heat thing like you said thanks
What temperatures is it running at?

i dont no how to work that temperture thing out! how do i find what make my motherboard is i know its gigabyte one but not the version or anything?

I honestly don't think it'd be the temperature.
In bios there are sometimes termpature readings but i have never seen a temperature reading for a ram chip.
Though he might mean the system ambience, which you can find usually in bios yeah.

Have you tried my steps above?

i put one in like you said but i dont know how to change the speed or anything, how do you change the speed? sorry for wasting your time like.

No, don't worry about that.

if for example your old samsung ram ran at a different speed than your new stuff, the new RAM would just be slowed down to the speed your old ones are (2700) because of the way Ram technology works, as it couldn't force the old stuff to run at a faster speed, and its just the way the Bus (what carries data to places) works.
Sorry if I confused you though, as this shouldn't be a problem. You don't have to change speeds.

Just try with each stick of ram until you find a stability problem, and then you know which one caused it. You can then move onto finding out if this problem occurs when you have the old ones in, with that one stick of Elixer Ram that is not causing a problem.
As I think it definetly a problem with one of them and might have been bad luck that you tried the same one on its own that might have the problem.

You could also try differnt ram slots if this doesn't help you :)

I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom