Outlook not remembering password

bwurfel

Baseband Member
OK, here's the problem...

Every time I launch Outlook 2002, I am prompted to enter my password even though I check the box for remembering my password. Below is the list of things I have tried with no luck. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

First off, I've had the program for a while now and never had this problem. This all started after I reinstalled Office XP after doing a compete reformat of my hard drive and installing Windows XP full version from scratch. (Got a new Hard Drive). When this happened after my reformat, I tried things I found in Microsoft knowledge base and random things I found through google. When nothing worked, I reformatted my hard drive again and reinstalled Windows XP again and reinstalled Office XP again and got the same problem. After the second reformat, I tried the below list of things and I am where I am now. One more thing, keep in mind that this is all installed on a new hard drive. I did do a “full zero of hard drive” then partition and install the new drive both times.

1. Complete reformat of hard drive with reinstall of Windows XP and clean install of Office XP x 2
2. Control Panel->Internet Options->Content->Personal Information->AutoComplete button; Enable -> User names and passwords
Disable -> Prompt me to save passwords
3. Spybot and AVG anti-virus with nothing found.
4. Ran following Microsoft fix http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;264672 with no luck. This fix states “The registry contains incorrect information for the Protected Storage System Provider registry subkey for your account.” Requires editing the registry to fix. Tried and still no luck.

So, what do you think???

One way of wiping this data would be of using Disk Cleaup if you've ever used it in Windows.
Start, All Programs, Accesories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup.

Windows can be set to run this sometimes, and this could be clearing it if its set to run every time you restart for example, though if it does it while your on the PC this isn't it.

Can you log in and out of the program after putting your password in while the PC is on and it'll work? Or is it only when you restart it that it starts happening?

None of the things you did would have helped i'm afraid but at least you were trying

Thanks for the reply. Well, I actually go in and run clean computer at least once every two weeks. I don't think that is the problem though. While my computer is on, I'll open outlook and enter my password and make sure I select remember password. As long as the program is running, it wont ask me again. If I close Outlook and re-open the program without restarting, it will ask for password again.....

Ah it won't be the disk cleanup then, so we can wipe that off the list :p

As for it not remembering your passwords even if you have ticked the box. I have done some research for you and have found a site:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011275261033.aspx

Look under 'The save password setting is not saved when you connect to a POP3 server' for example from the link if this is what you connect with at the top. If you can't get onto that site though for any reason, this is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684&Product=ol2002

Even though it says for Outlook 2003, it should be the same for 2002.

I hope this helps :)

Hey Kage. Thanks for helping me try and rid my computer of this problem. I actually found this web page about a week ago. Just for kicks, I went through it again with no resolution to my problem. I can't take it anymore.......I think my computer is going to get hurled out of the window.

hehe okay then. Thats one way of solving the problem... in a very mad way....

Sorry I couldn't help more

No honestly though, there must be a way of solving it, but I'm not the guy to ask

Anyone have any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom