Dvd+-r/rw

AndyMan123

Solid State Member
What are the pros and cons of using + and - formats. And which would you recommend?

The only things I have heard about them is that one format is preformatted and the other isn't. I can't remember which format. And that my burner burns - format at 8x and + format at 16x. Can someone explain why?

What I would like to know about is like if one is better for compressed dvd movies to be played on a standard dvd player.

+ has some memory managment or some crap like that. Apparently they can burn faster, even at the same speeds. However, I go with - simply because I find more devices are compatable with this type...

For DVD's, I always use the + because it's new. It supports Dual Layer which result in higher storage capacity but also results in higher cost. It's faster than DVD-R.

Now DVD-R is older technology and only allows one layer compared to multiple layers found in DVD+R. It is compatible with pretty much every single DVD player that exist today. It is slower and cheaper.

There are actually DVD+R that only support 4.7GB of data so it's like single layer. You have to look at the label when you shop for this. I've used both DVD+R single layer (4.7GB) and dual layer (8.5GB).

Keep in mind that DVD-R is only 4.7GB single layer, but mostly compatible with all DVD players. If you bought a DVD player within the last couple of years, DVD+R will be compatible with those or look for the DVD+R compatible note on the player.

Yeah DVD+R tends to be more compatible with DVD players and it has the Dual Layer feature that gives a lot more space, but costs a lot of money right now.

Back
Top Bottom