HELP! Newbie building a gaming computer.

Where are you planning on buying this? I suggest www.newegg.com . You probably already know about them but if you don't they're a no b.s. online store. They've also got a deal on the MSI 6600GT, I'm taking up on that one.

how much does a fan on the top take away from heat? because i might cut a hole in the top of mine to put a fan

well, knowing that hot air travels up, it would be wise to put a fan there so hot air doesnt build up on the top of your case.

I wish my case have vents at the top for a fan too. Right now, everything's escaping to the back of the case and it is really warm, almost hot now. Especially being summer here in southern california, the room heats up fast and PC start heating up as well. My Athlon went up from 27 degrees C. to 45 degrees C at one time. Pretty big jump huh?

As for the power supply, I generally use a generic one from CompUSA. A 400-450 watt PSU would be nice to have. The specs for your new system looks awfully familiar and I swear someone in this forum has the exact same setup.

Get a case with one of those acrylic windows on the side (with a side fan of course). Then you can see inside and notice how pretty it is. As for the cables, get those rounded cables (for DVD burner and Floppy drive) to help with air circulation inside the case. For memory, good choice on using Corsair RAM. I guess you don't like the Corsair XMS suggestion. Anyways, do the 2x512MB or 2x1GB configuration in dual channel mode.

ownage said:
well, knowing that hot air travels up, it would be wise to put a fan there so hot air doesnt build up on the top of your case.

I see that you still remember some of your Physical Science from last year :p:D

I did check out the XMS memory, but it looks like it will be twice the price of my current stuff, is there any big permormance jump to justify the price?

Alright, i've now decided to go with the Antec TRUE550W EPS12V for my PSU all that i need now is a case ;)

Any lian-li case is awesome!!! Coolermaster cm stacker is very nice but alittle large!!! Go with a coolermaster typhoon series!!

Back
Top Bottom