making my computer run faster?

danbeherenow

Solid State Member
Hi, my second post.. these forums seem pretty helpful :p Lets see if anyone can help me out.

I run an amd athlon 3000 xp (+2167 mhz)
L2 cache is 512kb (not too sure on this?)
memory 512mb
the graphics i run currently is geforce fx 5200
Im also running windows xp (home)
Motherboard is k7s8x

Im thinking of starting a web design comp with a mate of mine that codes, its just when i bought this system i actually bought it to play games (which it does great), but i dont play many games anymore..

Although im not much of a newb when it comes to computers, i dont know how to clock, making the chip for my athlon run faster (probably requires experience).. Im more a software type person :).. i suppose its obvious i need more memory? its just the brand to use & what will fit into my motherboard.. could someone please point me in the right direction. All it is i need more speed for applications such as Photoshop/dreamweaver to run faster on my system, when they load or when i edit large files they slow my computer down a lot see :( is there any good software which can almost make my computer as fast as when i install it?

Also i was thinking of gettin a bigger hardrive - mines currently 60, i'd love an external but there too dear i've heard? Im thinkin maybe 120 what would that set me back do you think?

so.. links & prices for things to buy to speed up my computer would be a great help!!! People that run systems with the applications mentioned above, please could they recommend what i should upgrade or add?

Thanks for takin the time to read my post.. Look forward to your replies..

Danbhn

Your motherboard is an ASRock? How fast is your memory running? Are you using DDR400, DDR333, or DDR266?

If you are running DDR400, your motherboard can only support of a maximum of 1 GB of RAM which I recommend. I suggest using Corsair XMS 1GB RAM from www.newegg.com.

If you are thinking of overclocking this board, it does provide a wide range of FSB up to 248Mhz. Although you have this large range of fsb, this board does not come with an option for FIX PCI/AGP. It dose not come with Multiplier control, ram timing option and voltage tweaking (vcore, vdimm).

Whats slow on it? loading or what. Get a raptor HDD..... and More Ram either the corsair ram as suggested or ballstix at least 1gig ram

ok i understood most of what TRDCorolla said but the FSB part, whats it stand for? i presume it has something to do with overclocking the CPU?

FSB stands for Front Side Bus, and when you raise it, it speeds up the processor. And the 3000+ isnt that great of an oc'er either. (I would know cuz i have one) Go get yourself a Mobile 2600+ or 2500+

Great lads cheers for the responce(s) i didnt think id get that many :p

I'll look into gettin more ram from newegg.com

Could i ask, is there a program i could download & install which finds out the data you need to know.. that way i can either take a screenshot of what the program tells me i have or just type it up into the thread.. please let me know..

I did use tune up utils 2004 but it doesnt tell me anythin my computer has.. Im sorry for the late reply, im from the UK see

Cheers again
Danbhn

Back
Top Bottom