6800nu or 6600gt?

the 6600 GT would actually beat the 6800 standard card in some cases.
Especially if you get the XFX Geforce 6600 GT Extreme Gaming Edition for about £150

I read a bit of Custom PC and they tested laods of 6600GT's and prooved on this one to be the fastest of the lot. Especially since they could overclock it way more above XFX's standard overclock to squeeze even more FPS from games. Plus its AGP

On there test system they got about 56fps from farcry running at 1024x768 (no advanced effects)
at 1,028x1,024 2x AA and 2x AF they could squeeze 46.6FPS out of it. Not bad I don't think.

If you want to run at the highest settings liek res's of 1,600 x 1,200 with 4x AA and 8x AF, this card isn't for you (only high res monitors can reach this anyway) which gives you 23.5FPS in farcry, which is below proper playable standards of 30FPS.

Half life 2 on 1,02 x 1,024 2x AA 2X AF = 55FPS, but 60.7FPS in standard 1024x768

Doom 3 at the same spec = 43.7FPS, but 65.4FPS in standard 1024x768

All in all, a very good card and will have no probs running new stuff for a while as long as you don't want to shove the settings up too high :)

It is way worth your money. People say not to get standard cards, or SE cards as they are toned down from ones like PRO's, but even this is lower than a GT and prooves to have everything squeezed out of it in most cards cases.

Kage said:
the 6600 GT would actually beat the 6800 standard card in some cases.
Especially if you get the XFX Geforce 6600 GT Extreme Gaming Edition for about £150

I read a bit of Custom PC and they tested laods of 6600GT's and prooved on this one to be the fastest of the lot. Especially since they could overclock it way more above XFX's standard overclock to squeeze even more FPS from games. Plus its AGP

On there test system they got about 56fps from farcry running at 1024x768 (no advanced effects)
at 1,028x1,024 2x AA and 2x AF they could squeeze 46.6FPS out of it. Not bad I don't think.

If you want to run at the highest settings liek res's of 1,600 x 1,200 with 4x AA and 8x AF, this card isn't for you (only high res monitors can reach this anyway) which gives you 23.5FPS in farcry, which is below proper playable standards of 30FPS.

Half life 2 on 1,02 x 1,024 2x AA 2X AF = 55FPS, but 60.7FPS in standard 1024x768

Doom 3 at the same spec = 43.7FPS, but 65.4FPS in standard 1024x768

All in all, a very good card and will have no probs running new stuff for a while as long as you don't want to shove the settings up too high :)

It is way worth your money. People say not to get standard cards, or SE cards as they are toned down from ones like PRO's, but even this is lower than a GT and prooves to have everything squeezed out of it in most cards cases.

Haha, that would be awesome if XFX didn't cut corners while manufacturing. Sorry, but I'd rather go for reliablilty than so called "speed" from a crappy GPU manufacturer. FYI My 6800 NU (manufactured by BFG Tech) can outperform pretty much all the 6600 GT's...ever seen a 6600 GT score 12,010 on 3DMark03? If you can show me some proof or pics, I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong :)

I guess that 12,010 would rely on the system too right? Especially on 3DMark03 where it helps to have a good system.

I was getting mixed up with the Radeon X700 PRO which is suppsoed to be something to beat the Geforce 6600 GT, yet doesnt which is why i stated it can sometimes be better.

Though for the price difference, it would be more worthwhile to get a 6600 GT and wait for the higher end cards to drop, since most people won't run games at res's and settings where a 6800+ would be neccessary at the moment.
When new games come out that need better hardware, and the 6600 GT wouldn't cope then it just means a cheaper upgrade to another mid range card I guess.

Yeah, wait till nVIDIA releases the 6950 Ultra and watch the 6800's prices go dowwwnnnnn...then you can get a nice GT or Ultra :D

Yeah exactly. Thats the way to go with computer hardware really, because that would then become a midrange card compared to new ones. It is definetly the cost effective option.

Back
Top Bottom