"Forced" to have SP2??

Brookfield

Golden Master
Can I have the members opinions on the story that Microsoft is giving us who have XP, SP2 whether we want it or not, is this true, can they do this?
A friend said that it proved to be more trouble than it was worth, when he d/loaded it, & he advised me to turn off automatic downloads.

Maurice
notebook.gif

Yes they can actually do that and they might i suppose that it is only for other peoples security and nothing else

It's true. SP2 will be forced on all XP Home and professional users. I don't use XP so I have no idea how MS is gonna force SP2 down everyone's throats. If anyone knows, pls tell me.

The main concensus is that it cannot be forced onto you, simply turn off auto updates, as long as you have a good AV & firewall, you should be OK, & that was from a friend who is an IT consultant.
True, you won't get other updates, but mine has been turned off for some while now, & have not had any probs, but, of course, I mainly only surf & e-mail, hardly any d/loads where the nasties might get in.
BTW, iamroot like your animated Avatar, I had imported Avatars on another site, did David eventually allow you to have this?, perhaps it comes with length of membership.
I asked earlier about member ranking, on that other site, I clocked up over 600 posts, & went up three levels, can you tell how this operates on CF?

Maurice

I see. i was wondering how MS was gonna force install SP2 on every computer. Perhaps they will use the harrassment tactic. Harrass the user with constant reminders until he/she installs SP2. I heard that that's what they're doing for SP2 users who turn off auto-update. Well, what can I say. MS isn't exactly well-known for allowing their users to have the freedom of choice.

As for my avatar, I got it from this site. I've been using it for a long, long time now. I'm not too sure if its still available now. I don't think avatar avilability is based on posts here.

iamroot,They can harrass all they *** like, I'M not budging!!!

On the last site, I could import from "My Pictures", I have loads of animated ones there, & was able to swap my Avatar many times, as this site is still developing, so I'm told, perhaps David or someone will arrange this facility in the future,....hope so!

Maurice
spinface.gif

Haha. Good for you. It's not that I'm against MS releasing updates for their products. It's just that I feel it's not right for them to force all their users to download and install it. Not to mention that SP2 breaks certain software installations and it has security flaws itself.

Actually, I'm kinda surprised that this site doesn't support custom avatars. Hope it will exist soon=)

Glad you agree, iamroot.
As you see above, I've approached David about imported Avatars, he seems a good guy, I don't want to jump the queue though, 'spect he'll let me, when I reach the level of "member"?, shouldn't take too long, when do you reach the next level?, you've posted over 300 after all.

Maurice
thumbs.gif

I have no idea actually. Advancing level here in CF isn't as easy as in some other forums. Takes a lot of posting to get there. In a GNU/Linux forum that i frequent, 100 postings gets you to "Senior Member".

Back
Top Bottom