Wireless Router Help

matthiasj

Baseband Member
I got a cheap wireless router off to newegg for like 6 bucks, it was a gigafast or something like that. I also got a TRENDware USB adapter. The adapter is not very far from the router, and i get really crappy signal. I bought a USB extension (15ft) to extend my USB adapter, and its still the same, even with it 15ft closer. I get frequent connection cuts, and i'm running 802.11g and i'm running at best 11mb per sec.

If i get a better router, say a matching TRENDware, will my signal problem be ok? Really this thing is under 50ft away, and 802.11g is suppost to have good range. I think it could be from a cheap router?

Thanks,
Matt

Maybe...try sticking with reputable brands like Linksys, D-Link, Netgear etc. They're a tad more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

is it my hardware, or house? If I go with all Linksys, will i be in the clear for sure? One of my friends has all Linksys with 802.11b and he gets better signal than me.

Well if it's within your house, there shouldn't be a problem...I think it might be your hardware. Although those brands that you bought may be cheap, it's not worth it in the long run.

well the only thing is i dont wanna buy new and better hardware and still have the same problem, if i'm going to buy new linknsys stuff, i want to have good signal all the time and not have to worry.

I've been looking at Linksys stuff, and they've got cheap stuff, and expensive stuff, i'd like to get a router, and adapter both with speedboost.

If i get the "cheaper" linksys, will i see lower speeds than with speedboost. Its just more money

Back
Top Bottom