Is this true?

AmericanSensei

Daemon Poster
My dad and his friend were talking memory, and my dads buddy told him that you multiply the amount of memory each chip contains by the amount of slots on the MOBO to find out what you can upgrade to as a MAX. Now if this is true, this saying my dad has too much mem on his comp? The comp came with (2) 256, and he upgraded to (2)1024, and still has two free.

I myself am skeptical on this theory.

What do you guys say of it?

AmericanSensei

yhea, i know macs can take up to 8gigs for the most mulit tasking ever, but who besides pros need 8 gigs? bu yeah, regarding ur story, it does seem wierd... but i guess its possible. what can of mobo does he have, do u know?

jac006 said:
what kind of mobo does he have, do u know?

Unfortunately I do not. The two computers my pop and I run now are HPs store bought. I can assure you it will be the last two we buy, from now on I will build the computers we want.

On another note, Is it possible to check what type of Mobo you run?

AmericanSensei

Do you know the maxium amount for each stick? 512 for example and then just times that by how many slots you have 4 = 2048

Yeah, a modern motherboard can handle 2 gigs of mem and so is not competly mad in saying 2 lots for 1024, and another 2 4 another 1024.

That was probably told to him by a salesperson such as myself. it is a basic rule of thumb that applies to most mbos but not all. we use it to dumb things down for a customer because the dont like to have to remember stuff

Back
Top Bottom