Backwards Design - Graphics Cards

semtex

In Runtime
Not a problem as such, more a question about the physical layout of graphics cards...

I understand that back in the day of ISA, before PCI was around, the physical construction of cases, motherboards, and add in cards was such that on the back of the computer all the ports would be the right way up (you follow me?) Then when PCI came along designers had to make room for the new standard which unfortunatley meant that all PCI cards would be inserted 'upside down' and this is also the case for AGP graphics cards - my point.

Some of today's modern graphics cards can kick out a fair bit of heat, and as we all know, heat rises - so why put all the components on the underside of the card?!?! this problem can be further agitated if you have to use the pci slot directly below; if i were to do that there'd be less than 5mm of space for my graphics card to breathe. Why don't manufacturers make cards now that have the components facing upwards (do any exist?), thus aiding cooling? after all, there are no other slots above the AGP slot so there would be nothing to get in the way.

Who knows... I agree this is/was a stupid design. I've never quite understood why most PCI cards are upside down. I have many that words on the back and what not are on the bottom/upside down.

I suppose one thing was they might of not expected the chips to put off so much heat?

Back
Top Bottom