Windows 98 - startup error

Henry_VCG_1

Solid State Member
Using my computer, my sister downloaded some little toolbar package or some crap. I removed most of it using Norton's, and ad aware SE. I ran spy bot, to remove more of it because explorer kept crashing (page fault in user.exe) while running internet explorer 6.

Next thing I know my computer is non operational, I restarted and windows loads up with a blue screen error. I restart a second time and its taken me to the windows 98 setup wizard (I use 98 SE)

My windows is completely legit, however when I enter my key it says that is is invalid. I think it might want my original and not the SE key but I can't find that for now.

I think I know why this has happened, there is a really nasty problem like this on XP, it is to do with pirating the software. The problem is it can happen to people who have it legit, when some certain files are infected by spyware/adware/malware/viruses take your pick, they are removed by certain programs (in my case spybot) in XP it simply doesn't let you sign in.

I'm pretty sure this might be the same sort of error? Can anyone help me out here?

Just get into touch with Microsoft. They will probably stuff you up till your back were you used to be in this problem but on the other hand you might get lucky and they will help you out.

You might be able to keep your data if you make that drive a slave as it won't have to load windows with another drive which is Master.

You might then be able to see the drive to drag any files you might want off before re-installing windows.

If you don't know how to do this, I'm sure me and everyone

If I was excellent at computers (which I'm not), i might of been able to tell you how to use the Recovery console (if its on win 98) to replace the file that is causing the problem... though i can't...

Have you tried safe mode? (Though I'd expect this not to work either since it's something to do with the licence)

Well...

I am beging to think what is happening to users of Spybot S&D is they are downloading the program and running it with out updating it. It hasen't got the updated scan rules and just bulldozes its way thru.

I just check my 98se system and the command to restore lost or damaged system files is as follows.
From the RUN promtp type in SFC. When asked what you want to do, select the> scan for altered files. Have the 98se cd in the drive. As it finds altered files it will ask you what to do.
As for lost files it will exspect to see certin files along the way to the end of its checking. It will ask you what you want to do as it discovers them missing.
Hope that helps you...
After rereading your post it's clear now you reloaded 98se back on the system. 98se doesn't give 2 rats rear ends as to what system it's on and long as the key is legit. However since the key appears not to be working my question is did you format the drive or just run over what was on the system already? If you just reinstall 98se with out formatting first and you have a nastie on your system it will not fix it.

Back
Top Bottom