dual channel ddr

jay8990

Daemon Poster
I've two crucial 512 sticks now.
Identical models (both pc3200 same ammount of IC etc)

cpu-z says they not running dual channel? how do i enable this? bios? jumpers?

although they are the same they have been bought at different times. does this matter?

thanks in advance

no it wouldnt. as long as they are both dual channel then they shoulod be working, try fooling in ur bios

Um...

As long as they share the same specs, you're fine. As far as turning on dual channel, look in the bios. Make sure you have the latest motherboard drivers. Things are about to start going pretty fast so you don't want slower drivers putting a damper on the party.

yeah as far as i can see they are in the right slots and they are the same kind of sticks so hmmm.

I'll try "fooling" in my bios! :D

what does dual channel actually do by way? I know its good but never thoguht about the why part!?

it allows 6.4gb/s transfer rate instead of the usual 3.2gb/s transfer by allowing both sides to be used instead of the typical one side, on PC-3200 ram

ooooh cool cool!

and to think....3months ago I was using a single stick of 256MB pc2100 (bios said it was running at 66MHz or something! ) :D

ah no i mind now (quick google search) i thought it should be at 266MHz but it was saying 64bit memory clock is 133MHz.
anyway!.. thanks for help. ill have a fiddle in the bios and see if i can get it going! (no doubt ill be back for more help though!)

cheers

Jay

As long as your motherboard supports dual channel, it should be in the bios yeah.

You'll know its working I think when you power up the PC, it says "dual channel enabled" when searching for the RAM.

EDIT: Another thing worth mentioning is that it matters where the ram sticks go in the dimms (ram slots).
Make sure either that the sticks are in the 1st and 2nd dimm, or the 3rd and 4th dimm so that they are together, and not 1 in the first and 1 in maybe dimm 4 (if you have that many on your motherboard). This is how it works in most motherboards and might help

Hope this helps

ok my bad! my mainboard has 4dimm slots 2green and two purple and above them it says ChanA - Green ChanB - Purple
so I thought oh well 2Dimm's in two green slots!

Nope 1 in green 1 in purple! its saying dual now!

:D

thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom