Computer restarting itself automaticly

acpmadness

Solid State Member
This is really weird, I got windows xp sp2. I go to shut down and everything shuts down and turns off. Then 2 to 60 seconds later it starts itself right back up again without me doing anything. The only thing I can think of it being is a problem with the power supply or motherboard. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanx

My specs:

Vantec sealth 520w
Asus P5AD2 Premium
P4 560 Precott 3.6ghz
OCZ PC2 4300 (DDR2 533mhz) 1gig (2x512) CAS 4-3-3-12
ATI X850 XT PE
WD Raptor 74Gig SATA HDD
Lite-On DVD CD-WR Combo drive

actually mine just did that about 2 nights ago...pissed me right the fudge off. i just kept clicking shutdown and it finally went off. nice computer btw, except for the intel cpu

"i just kept clicking shutdown and it finally went off."

No, I mean it's already shut down and the lights on my case are off and everything.

"except for the intel cpu"

It kicks the crap out of my XP2100+

well yea. thats what i was talking about, mine would shut down all the way and tehn about 15 secs later it turned itself back on.

possibly some sort of virus??? maybe power supply or a dodjy power plug? mine did it the power lead wasnt in properly and it kept doing it lol..

I thought I had the answer and realised I didn't.
If the computer was shutting down but restarted itself instead, it would be because its noticed a problem and decided to reboot to fix it (Control panel, System, Start up and recovery, and disabling auto restart)

Though it starting up again is very bizzare. Try turning that function off just incase it has something to do with it, because I'm sure it was when it was shutting off and powering back on. If its not, I'm sorry.

I'm sure the problem will be very simple. Computer problems that take the longest time to sort out usually are.

Hope you get it fixed

"I'm sure the problem will be very simple. Computer problems that take the longest time to sort out usually are."

So ture.

I got it fixed, it was a LAN problem. It was on the ASUS FAQs page, anyways thanx for the help.

the motherboard is your problem....nothing else. try acpmadness suggestions or go to your motherboards manufacturer site to see if they have solution for that problem.

Back
Top Bottom