Is it OK if I leave my PC running overnight?

TRDCorolla1 does the same as me lolz!! and a PC can last longer than 5 years.... my OLD OLD PC that my mum got in 1995 i think it was would have still lived if i didn't take apart the HDD

That's 114.8F If it's an AMD at idle then you're ok but it's still a liitle warm. If that's an Intel, that too warm for idle. Check the fans and vents to make sure you have plenty of air moving thru the case. Lastly get a can of air from a local shop and blow out the heatsink fins on the cpu. While you're in there blow out the rest of the computer. DO NOT turn the can upside down as the propellent is super cold and can crack a chip.
Just be carefull inside the case.
Static discharge can and will kill a computer as sure as you took a hammer to the motherboard...

As for 24/7 operation, mine is on unless there is a nasty storm. Then it's off and unplug every thing. If you plan to joint the 24/7 crowd I would reccomend a BackUp power supply. A UPS. You don't need a fancy one, just one to give you time to shut down in case you lose power. Belkin makes one, a 350watt model that's smart. Goes for around $38.00USD.

i leave mine on 24/7, the longest it's been turned off for is about 20 minutes (about 18 months ago) - to transfer to a new case. never had any problems.

you should turn off your computer for at least 4 hours daily, but no one really does. mine goes on stand by after 2 hours, so i never turn mine off.

Yeah, i'd leave mine on 24/7 if it wasn't in mine & my bros bedroom, though I don't mind it. It'd be my brother that'd complain.... I also wish I had my own room.....

It is supposed to be better for the computer yeah. I've heard many things about that. They say that if there is a problem with the PC, it'll occur after about 3 or so turn off/on's which shows it must do something to it... Though it isn't dangerous to turn it off and on or anything...as long as your not consistently doing it to test how long it'd take to burn out
(Like an individual who tested there CD drive to the limit... no offence to this person :p)

I'd assume the 4 hour things for heat reasons maybe? I wouldn't think anything other than that could be the cause of that, though of course, its best to switch on standby and all that when you are off it for long periods.... Save the energy ladies and gentlemen...save the world... *cough*...where did that come from?!....

I guess keeping it warm is good since it migh tbe liek glass....

Heat the glass up then putting it under cold water right way isn't good....

(I did it once)

I don't leave it on 24/7, but sometimes I leave it on at night if I'm downloading a really big file(s). And whoever said comps can only last 5 years is highly mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom