? for building a new pc

Re: Get the modem...

setishock said:
Technoman thanks for your supporting this member. I agree with the list.
My take on it is, despite Viglen's commentary, DO get the modem as you will need to activate the xp operating system or it goes to sleep in 30 days. It's also handy for getting those drivers and updates you need some times. And comming here for more tips and help as you need them.
I would say if this is your first build to do some simple things along the way.
First a good quiet spot is really paramount. Don't need the dog or your buddies hanging around when you're trying to concentrate.
Next is a clean work area. A white towel on the desk will let you see those little bitty screws when you drop them.
Nylon clothes is a major NO, NO. Static electric discharge can and will kill a system as sure as you took a hammer to the motherboard.
TAKE YOUR TIME!!! This not only will be a real fun time for you but you can sit back when you're done and it's up and running and brag> I did that.
Come back if you need some more help. We'll be here...

good advice, i brought a cheap tool kit that helps a lot when building computers here is a web link if anyone is interested, its cheap but excellent tools you even get a plastic tube to hold your bits and bobs .. lol

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=53825

Make sure you do plenty of research to make sure your parts work well together. Some brands and parts don't go too well together and you may get loads of random error message. Of course, the easiest thing to do is just buy one ready made from a shop. More expensive but much less time-consuming.

I've heard that www.newegg.com is the best and cheapest for computer parts, but since I am no PC builder I couldn't tell you for sure.

Here is some info for processers, describing the pro's and con's of both AMD and Intel.

Intel - Ideal for "office" and general use, photo editing, surfing the web, and general PC tasks. Intel have built their reputation on making solid and reliable CPUs and have the most advanced technology. Intel CPUs are great for multitasking, such as editing video whilst surfing the web, editing pictures, ect.

AMD - Perfect for games, AMD chips will play the latest games effortlessly. AMD CPU's are also said to have the best cooling. AMD CPUs are generally slower than Intel CPUs, but the latest AMD can handle more or less the same as the equivelient Intel.

Remember, you must buy a motherboard that will support your chip, you can only have an Intel with an Intel compatible board, and likewise for AMD.

Also remember that both CPU manafutures have their pro's and con's, so remember Intel for general multitasking things, and AMD for gaming.

And finially, make sure all the components are compatible with both the chip and the motherboard!!!!!

Hope that helps, took a long time to type!

NetLight said:
I've heard that www.newegg.com is the best and cheapest for computer parts, but since I am no PC builder I couldn't tell you for sure.

Here is some info for processers, describing the pro's and con's of both AMD and Intel.

Intel - Ideal for "office" and general use, photo editing, surfing the web, and general PC tasks. Intel have built their reputation on making solid and reliable CPUs and have the most advanced technology. Intel CPUs are great for multitasking, such as editing video whilst surfing the web, editing pictures, ect.

AMD - Perfect for games, AMD chips will play the latest games effortlessly. AMD CPU's are also said to have the best cooling. AMD CPUs are generally slower than Intel CPUs, but the latest AMD can handle more or less the same as the equivelient Intel.

Remember, you must buy a motherboard that will support your chip, you can only have an Intel with an Intel compatible board, and likewise for AMD.

Also remember that both CPU manafutures have their pro's and con's, so remember Intel for general multitasking things, and AMD for gaming.

And finially, make sure all the components are compatible with both the chip and the motherboard!!!!!

Hope that helps, took a long time to type!

actually now that intel has SLI they will be awesome at gaming

A true PC maker will enjoy the whole PC building process, from choosing parts, to fitting them, to trouble shooting :D There isn't really a dull moment...unless of course your stuck between 2 parts and don't know which to go for

although there is a moment when you say, wtf did i decide to build this shit, then you find the plug that you were missing and your happy as anything! btw a 6xx 3.73ghz 2mb L1 and 1 mb L2 cache is going to by awesome!!!!, SLI so dual 6600gts and intel you got the best of both worlds...if i were rich i'd have a amd system and a INTEL SLI system, i want the INTEL SLI so bad, although will have to wait for benchmarks

I kinda like Intels whe nit comes to winter here... we don't use heaters in this house lol and my Intel heats up my room better than a heater! its autumn right now... and it gets cold! not when my Intel is on lol

Kage said:
There isn't really a dull moment...
unless ur like me and got the blue scree o' death as soon as u turn it on for the first time...lol...soon went when i re installed xp though :p

Back
Top Bottom