I heard Programming Jobs are tough to get into

Digital Being

Solid State Member
I heard that its very difficult to get a job in computer programming. I really want to be a programmer but have no prier knowledge so Im going to major in computer science and as well get as many certifications as possible. But Im wondering is this all a waste of time, should I be pursuing something else in the IT industry, something that is more secure. The reason why I ask is because I met a guy at work that used to be a computer programmer and said it was very tough to find job since he was released from his job that he worked for 7 years and he knew 4 or 5 languages! I mean how much do you have to know.

A list of Jobs that you might prefer would be helpful

Thank you

I imagine it is hard to find a job; but it depends how old you are. If you are young and have just passed a Degree Course Graduate Courses are of great use.

Digital Being said:
I heard that its very difficult to get a job in computer programming. I really want to be a programmer but have no prier knowledge so Im going to major in computer science and as well get as many certifications as possible. But Im wondering is this all a waste of time, should I be pursuing something else in the IT industry, something that is more secure. The reason why I ask is because I met a guy at work that used to be a computer programmer and said it was very tough to find job since he was released from his job that he worked for 7 years and he knew 4 or 5 languages! I mean how much do you have to know.

A list of Jobs that you might prefer would be helpful

Thank you

As my dad employs Computer Programmers in the UK, i know what business's look for. When my dad employs staff he looks firstly for education they have relitive to the job and assess that, then second looks at there experiance gained at other jobs experiance is a good plus when applying for a programming job...

but... if someone applys for a job at his work and they do not have any job experiance and seem keen he will contact your teachers who taught you your relitive education and ask what he thought of youif its good he normaly gives you a trial basis job.

so all together its hardish with all the competition in programming, but if you have no work experiance i suggest you try and seem keen with the education you are going to gain to get a good referance. you could just say that you can lower your wage during the trail :D hope i helped.

later

Hey thanks Grickey I think any feedback is helpful, It gives me a sense of direction for where I should go. From what I pick up from your post it seems that the more you know the better off you are at getting the job. That just contimplates that majoring in computer science as well as getting some certifications is a sure fire way of having an advantage over other applicants.

The guy at work seemed like he just didn't want to go the extra mile in getting more training so as a result he couldn't find another job.

Thanks for all your help;)

Back
Top Bottom