Over heating

meotwister

Beta member
I got a new computer together and I have an overheating problem.
I just got a new case (the Tsunami Thermaltake case) and here are my comp specs.

-Intel 530? 3.0ghz processor
-915p PCI-E mobo
-1g of Corsair ram w/heatspreaders (not sure of speed, 3200?)
-MX4000 nVidia card (cuz it's agp-e compatible)
-500W Aspire PS
-Tsunami Thermaltake case 2 120mm fans and 1 80mm (don't know if they suck or blow air)

I get temperatures of like 68 degrees Celsius (about 155 degrees Fareinheit)

It will work until I use Hammer(map making program) to compile a map for Counter-Strike: Source then it reboots
also been known to reboot while it's on iTunes Visualizer

Someone please help me!

MX4000 is agp-e compatible..and u have pci-e mobo...im confused. that sounds weird to me. yes check ur heatsink, and make sure they arent just sucking make suck at least one is blowing out the air

Agp-e? I dont think that exists, maybe your talking about PCI-E? because there is PCI, AGP(1x-8x), PCI-E(16x), and then there is XGP which I recently found out what it was, it's only found on biostar boards and it's just a type of high performance AGP slot that only a few types of cards will work in :D. But anywho, try getting a new fan for you CPU if reseating the fan doesnt work, and maybe b4 buyinga new fan if you have to, try getting some new thermal paste, I recomend AS-5 or OCZ Ultra 5.

Would anyone really say 68 is too hot and would make it reboot? Yeah its hot, but I wouldnt think programs like a compiler map and itunes would make it unbearable. Is it stable for everything else? Penitums are also very good at standing heat temperatures and so that should be fine I'd say...though it would be best to get a new fan and heatsink...though I wouldn't say that would solve the problem.

What other programs does it reboot on if any?

You could find out if it sucks or blows air by feeling where the fans are. Fans that blow out, you can tell from a far distance and feels more pressurised. Ones taht suck in do release a bit of air but not from a far distance at all and the temperature is almost cold to the touch at all times rather than one that blows out that would heat up after a while.

Sucking fans also seem to drag more dust towards them.
These are good ways of checking

Hope this helps

David Lindon said:
Are you using the stock heat sink? Is it fitted correctly?
Let me take what David asked a bit farther.
If you didn't use thermal paste between the cpu chip and the heatsink then it's gonna get heap plenty hot. Got to have the paste to pass on the heat from the chip to the heatsink. Too much and it acts like a insulator blanket. Again getting hot because the heat is trapped under the paste. A dot about the size of a grain of rice does nicely. Smear it around the central portion of the cpu chip completely covering the center square. Plug in the chip and set the heatsink with the fan attached and lock it down. I always let the rig sit for about 10 mins or so before I fire it up. Just an old habit but seems to let the paste get settled out before applying the juice.
Intel's stock heatsink and fan setup is rated as one of the best for Intel cpus and that's not just me talking crap. It's a fact you can look up.
As for cooling the case, the fans in the front and side blow into the case and the ones in the back and the top blow out.
155F is not going to kill the chip but it will cause it to throttle back or shut down to let the cpu chip cool off. The problem you have is very simple to fix. Take your time and check the things I have suggested.
If you need more help just come back here and ask. We'll be here...

Thank you everyone for helping me. I will try your advice immediately.

Yes, AGP-Express exists. I didn't think it did before I got this mobo but its apparently for people with an AGP card to not have to go out and immediately get a PCI-E card. Also, my comp has not rebooted on any other program *fingers crossed*.

Don't Intel heatsinks come with some sort of thermal paste already on them? It's like a square on the bottom of the heatsink. If I need to would I have to put thermal paste on over that? Anyway I will check fans first.

If it only reboots on two programs then it is not because of overheating then. If for example it crashed more often then it would be. Even though that temperature is hot, it is obviously not causing a problem, though maybe, more thermal paste, heatsink/fan has to be used.

setishock said:
Let me take what David asked a bit farther.
If you didn't use thermal paste between the cpu chip and the heatsink then it's gonna get heap plenty hot. Got to have the paste to pass on the heat from the chip to the heatsink. Too much and it acts like a insulator blanket. Again getting hot because the heat is trapped under the paste. A dot about the size of a grain of rice does nicely. Smear it around the central portion of the cpu chip completely covering the center square. Plug in the chip and set the heatsink with the fan attached and lock it down. I always let the rig sit for about 10 mins or so before I fire it up. Just an old habit but seems to let the paste get settled out before applying the juice.
Intel's stock heatsink and fan setup is rated as one of the best for Intel cpus and that's not just me talking crap. It's a fact you can look up.
As for cooling the case, the fans in the front and side blow into the case and the ones in the back and the top blow out.
155F is not going to kill the chip but it will cause it to throttle back or shut down to let the cpu chip cool off. The problem you have is very simple to fix. Take your time and check the things I have suggested.
If you need more help just come back here and ask. We'll be here...

a pea sized amount or it can act as an insulator? i covered my athlon64 like crazy...at least 3mm's thick and then creamed on the heatsink. and it runs at 37 degrees idle..isnt that normal?

Back
Top Bottom