New computer advice

Corsair is a pretty good brand, their Value Select is worth the money. OCZ gives you really good timings. Crucial has the Ballistix, which is one of the best RAm out now. Kingston is ok, the HyperX isn't that good as people hype it to be.

I love OCZ they give you the best timings ever....Corsair is okay. Hyper X is just ewww and Ballistix is my second choice after OCZ platinum rev. 2. And there is a correction on the cores. FX-55 uses Clawhammer and the opteron uses sledgehammer.

Molson said:
So should i go for the no-named RAM or OCZ/Kingston Value Series stuff? Since I am not overclocking or anything.
If you are looking for the best performance on an AMD64 system you want low latency (CAS/CL2) RAM.

Go with crucial ballistix. It is the second best (IMO) If you can you can try to look for the OCZ platinu Revsion 2. BTW Newegg doesnt carry them anymore.

SSE4 said:
If you are looking for the best performance on an AMD64 system you want low latency (CAS/CL2) RAM.

What company makes these? Cna you give examples?

No. Both the 4000+ and the FX-55 use the ClawHammer core. And they both have a 1MB L2 cache. They are nearly the same processor, the 4000+ used to be called the FX-53. On top of having the maxed multiplier, the FX-55 does indeed have the multiplier unlocked, which makes overclocking easier.

An example of some low latency RAM would be certain types of Corsair XMS and other RAM. It's important to just look at the CAS timings of RAM when looking for low CL.

Problematic CPU's

Out of interest, if the CPU's bust but all the other hardware is fine, will the computer get anywhere, or will it simply refuse to do anything?

If the CPU is busted, the computer will not be able to receive instructions from it. This means that hardware wont really do much aside from powering up. It wont run software.

Back
Top Bottom