Laptop as a DVD Player?

Jmonty580

Baseband Member
Im trying to connect my laptop to the tv so that when I play a dvd on my laptop, that it can be seen on my tv. I got the sound hooked up through my receiver's aux and it works fine. I got the S-video wire pluged into the back on the computer and the S-video pluged into the back of the Tv in Video 1. When it was hooked up to the DVD player it worked, why wont it work now?

Does the S-video carry sound as well as picture? I got a rca from my headphone jack going into the Reciever, could this interfere? When I unplug it it still doesnt give me a picture.

S-video is usually 3 cables, Sound left, right, and one for picture.

It might be something in the display settings but i can't be completly sure.

I wouldn't expect it to interfere no

My Tv and computer only have one outlet for S-Video. I should be able to atleast get a picture and hear it through the tv, instead of my stereo system.

Svideo can be paired with the other sound cables, no audio from the cable itself...

Are you sure you have it on the correct mode? TV's have many modes anymore, I've seen some with like 8 video modes! Also, some might disable ports if you use another. Say if you have something plugged in the front, then the back ports are disabled. That's how my TV works...

I assume if you got it working before you have it all enabled in the display set and such. Not sure if you're expecting an auto detect...I know my lappy does that sometimes and other times I have to manually enable it... Picky little thing :p

The_Other_One said:
Svideo can be paired with the other sound cables, no audio from the cable itself...

Are you sure you have it on the correct mode? TV's have many modes anymore, I've seen some with like 8 video modes! Also, some might disable ports if you use another. Say if you have something plugged in the front, then the back ports are disabled. That's how my TV works...

I assume if you got it working before you have it all enabled in the display set and such. Not sure if you're expecting an auto detect...I know my lappy does that sometimes and other times I have to manually enable it... Picky little thing :p

I've never hooked it up to my laptop before, it was hooked up to my DVD player that no longer works. I figured if I just inpluged it from the dvd player and pluged it into the laptop everything would be fine. I guess not, i cant find an option to allow this to work.

I figured it out. I had to go to display properties, and then settings. Then I had to click on the big 2 and click extend my windows desktop on to this monitor. Im a moron. Thanks for the advice, im all set now.

Sorry, I misread your question. At least you fixed it. There might be something in advnaced settings too where you could clone your screen, if that would work better...

Back
Top Bottom