Favorite programming language

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense but VB is a joke.

I've recommended them before, but Python and Scheme are both excellent for beginners.

PHP is popular and easy to learn if you want to do Web development.

C is an excellent language as well but maybe not the best place to start.

None taken :D but nobody has actually yet to point out what is wrong with Visual Basic in its synax?

I suppose the fact that it doesn't include the actual code for objects could be taken as a disadvantage but that just makes it a better place to start; the Synax is just like anything else any normal person would write in :D C#, C++, I would say J# but that's actually a joke.

That's "syntax", LK. If you want to know what's bad about VB, spend the time to learn some other languages, and then you'll know. If you don't actually program, you won't understand.

php is good for making shell scripts as well as web programs, the syntax is also friendlier than that of perl. (certainly it's a lot closer to C than perl is).

I see no problems with using Visual basic if you just want to make some quick and easy programs. It's like LK said, the Anti visual basic is basically just snobbery from the "tux monkeys"...

no offence, (of course).
You need to realise that visual basic is meant to be a rapid application development tool, it handles just about everything for you (which is why people think that it's bad) the language is structured as if it were a basic language (hence the name Visual BASIC)...

there is nothing wrong with VB provided that it is used in the correct situation.

Haha! Tux Monkeys... I'm such a genius. That's way better than Linux Folk.

It's also very good for Web Development if you're going on into that; where the actual bits and pieces are coded in the Page, and the effects are in the Code. Personally I use C#; but for most people Visual Basic is perfect for it.

Haha :D It is Syntax... that makes no sense. It should be synax - just like it Fitted should be it Fat ;)

I'm still however all open for what's wrong with the Visual Basic Synax which isn't wrong with say Perl or Python, or indeed Basic itself; useless Languages for people who are a Million Years old and don't want to get into the new fangled C++. In the end the only reason you, and most Linux Programmers don't like Visual Basic is because its a Language run by and for Windows Developers. The Synax is close to C, and close to C++ in every instance other than the declaring of objects which Visual Basic, unlike C++, does for you. That however doesn't make it worse for starting on, it makes it better.

I feel misquoted...

I said PHP was closer to C than perl...

at the end of the day they are usefull for different things...

VB is usefull for making applications quickly, that you can distribute straight from the IDE, and perl is usefull for scriptig applications quickly that you might later port to a real languag such a C...

The problem with Visual Basic's syntax is the lack of power it gives you and the habits that it gets you into. In it (and all of Basic) there is close to no variable declaration (at least in perl you can use the $, @, %, and % signs). In the for loops you can not get the loop variable to go up by a number other than 2 (for example in 'for foo = 1 to 20', 'foo' is going to increment by 1 each time. It gets really annoying and ugly...

Whereas in a real language like Perl (or if you want graphics- perl/tk, everything is organized in a master/slave fasion and easy to follow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom