Win 2K/XP Local Administrator logon

UK31337

Fully Optimized
I've thought of something, would this work?

I know someone who's decrypting a SAM file stolen from a workstation at school. It's got Administrator and Guest in it, and it was stolen from a Win2K machine.

Now, when he gets the pw for Administrator, and we log on to the Local Machine (i.e. choosing "<HOSTNAME> (this computer)" from the dropdown list on the logon list instead of the domain) as Administrator.

If we unplug the network cable, and do the local logon, and reconnect the cable, and map drives as the Administrator, would we have full unrestricted domain access even if we logged on as just the local Administrator and then proceeded to browse the network?

Just a thought, I don't know if it would work or not.

nope won't happen... when you log on locally you just get full access to the local computers drives thats it... it wont do jack for domain access... watch when you try to view domain drives or even map them.. it will require domain authentication when you try to open the files... you can map them all you want.. but accessing them won't happen.

daydreamer said:
nope won't happen... when you log on locally you just get full access to the local computers drives thats it... it wont do jack for domain access... watch when you try to view domain drives or even map them.. it will require domain authentication when you try to open the files... you can map them all you want.. but accessing them won't happen.

Bollocks, I thought I'd found a major security hole there!

Never mind, thanks anyway for your help.

Back
Top Bottom