Pope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be a twit Steven...

He was a good bloke; but I've never really bothered to think about anything he says, if indeed I hear about it. Shame he died though.

Hmm, just wanted to say.. I'm sick of people saying "The Pope helped Communism fall".. When Reagan died, they said that, when he dies.. they say that. I was born in Communism.. My parents lived in Communism. And the westerns barely contributed to the fall of it in USSR. The truth is, communism fell almost entirely due to internal issues. People were pissed at some of their limited rights, economic inequality, ect. ect. Internal issues really made the whole system failed. Sure, western figures poked at it, but they can't take credit for themselves.. That's absurd.

I imagine Stalin contributed to the fall of Communism in the end more than anybody or anything. Has to be said without him it would have fell during his rule; but Lenin's New Economic Policy and a continuation from Trotsky, without the War, could have made the feelings in the USSR in the 90s a whole lot different.

rakedog said:
Though communism worked just fine in the USSR until the 1980's.

It never did because it suffered from structural problems. It never worked just fine... in fact it barely functioned.

Rakedog is wrong because the US outspent the USSR.. it forced the USSR to spend wildly.. that is what drove it to bankruptcy and eventual insolvency.

like I am not gonna read this thread but like just wanted to comment about the open vigil.

Like just bury the guy already. There is just something wrong about millions of people flocking to see a decaying body for the last time. Like My grandpa was an open casket vigil but like he wasnt out in raised in the air for a few days. Thats just gotta not be good to have a body in the open air like that for such a long period of time.

Yeah, I totally see your point airiox.

And giancarlo, yes, economic pressures were indeed present from the US, but the unhappiness of the citizens overall was much more damaging to the commie leaders.

I won't attack your opinion, but believe me, my parents both grew up in Communist Russia... so they know first-hand what it was like, and they say that the biggest factors were just national unhappiness. But let's not start a debate on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom