? for building a new pc

dbone

Baseband Member
OK, being a newbie (to this site and to building a pc) i was wondering if anyone can give me the basic on building my own pc. I basically need a list of what all I will need. This would be starting from scratch. This is a learning process for me. I am not making anything special. Maybe something I can tinker with and learn some new stuff on. I have tech help from a friend if i need it, but not always available. If anyone can help or has suggestions please let me know.
Thanks

here is a lits of parts you need to get hold of and i suggest you check other computer building posts on this board for detailed help.

Motherboard
PSU (Power Supply)
CPU (Processor)
CD / DVD Drive
Floppy Drive (I don't use them, not needed)
Modem
Graphic Card (You don't need but if you are a gammer buy one)
Case
Monitor
Mouse
Keyboard

!! Operating System !! (Windows XP)

i think that is it ... Good luck with your computer

yup that sems about it you prob wont need a modem i mean who has 56k any mre ..... ermm all i can fink of else is if ur a gamer a few fans maybe and 1 for The CPU ....

yup now since your a newbie you'll also need to know good brands which would be:

MSI-mobo's/video/etc. (they do alot)
AMD-cpu's
Radeon-ati video cards
BFG-video cards
OCZ-power/ram

Get the modem...

Technoman thanks for your supporting this member. I agree with the list.
My take on it is, despite Viglen's commentary, DO get the modem as you will need to activate the xp operating system or it goes to sleep in 30 days. It's also handy for getting those drivers and updates you need some times. And comming here for more tips and help as you need them.
I would say if this is your first build to do some simple things along the way.
First a good quiet spot is really paramount. Don't need the dog or your buddies hanging around when you're trying to concentrate.
Next is a clean work area. A white towel on the desk will let you see those little bitty screws when you drop them.
Nylon clothes is a major NO, NO. Static electric discharge can and will kill a system as sure as you took a hammer to the motherboard.
TAKE YOUR TIME!!! This not only will be a real fun time for you but you can sit back when you're done and it's up and running and brag> I did that.
Come back if you need some more help. We'll be here...

lol i jsut built my system and i've been braging, i wanna make another one. and to go with what setishock said about the white towel, its very godo to do that, losing screws really pisses me and im sure everyone else off

money_man said:
yup now since your a newbie you'll also need to know good brands which would be:

MSI-mobo's/video/etc. (they do alot)
AMD-cpu's
Radeon-ati video cards
BFG-video cards
OCZ-power/ram

Boy you know who the AMD fans are around here, don't cha? Don't flame me, I'm just poking at ya.
As for cpu chips AMD is good but so is Intel. I must say AMD is more cost effective if you're on a really tight budget. And it's a killer gaming chip. Where as Intel is more at home in an office/industry enviroment.
Just do your home work and find which is best suieted to do the job you want it to do.

actually im not an AMD fanboy...from my personal experiences i find the intel p4 to be faster except in games where my new athlon64 owns my old set-up. im planning on building a p4 system in like a week tops hopfully and then ima see which one i like more. yes i was also taking into consideration budget wise AMD would be more worth it.

If he intends to get a lower end AMD model, then it is definitely cost effective. If he isn't a really big gamer, than I would be more inclined to recommend a 3.0GHz P4 as opposed to an AMD64 3200+, but that's because of experience. Having a more balanced opinion often means I get attacked by anyone who doesn't agree.

I also want to point out that, in consideration to a computer the PSU, motherboard, and CPU can probably be some of the most important decisions you will make.

Back
Top Bottom