Loss of Server from my client machines (DNS PROBLEM?)

andycharger

Beta member
Hi,

We currently have a 2 server set up. 1 Is a PDC and called Server01. We have a secondary Backup controller which also acts as our file print server called Server02.

What seems to be happening is that during the day, completely randomly and on random machines, the connection to Server02 is lost from the client machines.

We know this because the users claim they cannot print or access their documents (also stored on Server02). It says "access to this resource has been disallowed"
When you try and ping server02 from the machine it says Host Unreachable.
When you ping the IP address you can get a response. Therefore it must be DNS related.

Any ideas what may be causing my clients to lose their connection?

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,
Do you have Server02 on a Static IP? Or Dynamically Assigned? Also, what Operating Systems do you have running on the two servers? it could be that Server02 has reached the maximum amount of sessions for that particular time period until some unused ones expire.

:D

Servers and stuff

Hi Ant,

Yep Server01 and Server02 are on Static IP. Server01 is 10.0.0.225 and SErver02 is 10.0.0.226.

Both are using Windows 2000 server with latest service packs

Today the loss of connection happened on a PC in the office.

I went to it and tried to connect to the "My Documents" folder. It said you are not authorised to log on from this station.

I checked the NSLOOKUP and PING server02 and it resolved!

However I was unable to browse through Windows explorer to anything on Server02!

Its making me pull my hair out. I noticed in Group Policy that there was a setting about disconnecting a session if it is inactive for 15 minutes. I have changed this to 1000 minutes to see if this makes a difference!

Can you think why i can ping it and resolve the name but not actually reach it through My Documents, mapped drives and Windows EXplorer?

Back
Top Bottom