Amount Of Ram Is Lower Than It Should Be

gtconvertable89

Beta member
I had a sony vaio labtop with 512mb of total RAM, but when I went into System Properties it said there was only like 448mb. After replacing the 2 256mb chips with 2 512mb chips it still is off and only says there is 960mb when there should be 1024mb. Any reason why this is reading like this, or is this normal??? Thanks

The system takes some RAM to run some things on startup, like graphics and stuff, so it's correct. Nothing is wrong with it.

My dad has the same computer (i bit newer version) and it reads the full 512mb of RAM. Its several months old and has a lot of programs running on it. Why is his showing the full amount???

Like Ben said, your laptop video adapter is using system memory rather than having its own dedicated memory. This is quite common on low end intigrated or laptop video chipsets. In your case it seems your video adapter is using 64Mb of your system memory as video memory. Its not a problem :)

A lot of them so, I think all with intergrated graphics do, because they need to take some of the RAM for it to run.

yup chesseman the full amount should always show inless you have integrated graphics and thats the case with your laptop so no worries

My HP Pavilion t124a has Intel Intergrated Extreme Graphics and it takes off a bit of the RAm for its use so i guess its a Graphics Chip

Back
Top Bottom