How hot should GPU run?

d_source

Daemon Poster
So i finally OC'd my 6600gt thanks for the tips to some of the guys here in the forum. I used Coolbits and i cannot believe how simple it was to OC. I actually noticed that my default was 300/1000, which is lower than it should be, i guess thats why my 3dMark scores were coming back so low. I was able to get it to 580/1.16 successfully. I noticed that my GPU temp hit 50+ degrees. I was wondering, how hot is too hot and what should i avoid? I wont be leaving my settings that hot, i will probably return to stock values (500/1000) when not playing games so that my temps revolve around 40-44C.

Any ideas?

50 is really good for a gpu... even 70 is not bad, gpu's run a lot hotter than cpus and it's fine.

See the sig about my card.

My card runs really, really hot for some reason, but the tech support at Gigabyte said not to worry about it. It runs at 60 C idle, and jumps on up to 89 C under a VERY heavy load, like that DirectX functionality test with the... uh... balls.

Don't be worried. I should be worried, but I'm not, which is a bit sad.

Yeah, nVIDIA GPU's are designed to run extremely hot, so don't worry.

Oh, and about your overclocking, if it is okay in the temperature boundaries, I say push it up! Just be extremely careful that it doesn't get too hot on you, because they heat up very quickly. And, make sure when you are running a graphical program and you want to check the temperature, make sure you don't minimize it or quit it, because the temperature can decrease more than 5 degrees (Celcius) in about 2 seconds. Maybe more... I don't really know.

But, hey, if you don't have any problems, overclock away! (Don't be too liberal, though. :D)

I'm not going to deny that GPUs will run hotter than a CPU and can also handle the higher temperatures, however it is always good to exercise caution when overclocking anyway. Just be careful that you don't take the card too far.

Of course. OC'ing is a very risky procedure and can lead to disasterous results of done wrong or impatiently.

That temp specs is perfect. No need to worry. I overclocked mine a little bit more and running around high 40s without doing any intense 3d acceleration. When playing games, it jumps up to 57 dgrees which is still very good.

That "580/1.16 " is nice. I'm trying to get mine up that much too. I'm at 540/1.10 and stable!! I'm excited about it. When you're not playing games, no need to run back to stock. It will cool down once you get out of the game and return to normal temp even though it is OC.

OK thats a releif. I have never OC'd anythign so i am not sure how hot things should or should nto get. To me 50C is very hot, i dotn understand how things can work proerly at that temperature. I magine u were outside in the summer and had to work, no matter what u r doing, if its 50C its unlikely ur gonna work very well. I know pc's are different but this is all coming from someone who buys and uses things as they come...safety first! LOL.

Yeah I know what you mean. I thought mine ran really hot at first until I actually called MSI and told them about the temps on my 6600GT. They told me that it was running to specs and well withing tolerable range. Max temp it can tolerate is 120 degrees Celsius.

Back
Top Bottom