Buying new computer, need help picking components?

fultz

Solid State Member
Well, actually... I've pretty much picked out all the components myself, I just need somebody who's experienced to tell me if there is any problems such as insufficient power supply and such... Well, here it is:

Trinity ATX Mid-Tower Case w/420W Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz 939 Pin w/Hyper Transport
Foxconn WinFast NF4K8MC-RS nVidia nForce4 Chipset w/LAN, 5.1 Sound, USB 2.0 PCI-E Motherboard
1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module [Giel or Major Brand]
ATI Radeon x850 XT Platinum Edition PCI-Ex16
Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Disk Drive
Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Disk Drive
16x DVD-ROM Drive
NEC ND-3520A 16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
Mitsumi 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Onboard 10/100 Ethernet Nic
Multimedia Internet Keyboard
Optical Internet Mouse
Thermal Temperature LCD Display
6-in-1 Internal Media Card Reader
3 Year Warranty + 1 Year Extended

The Power Supply is the one that comes standard with the case... I hope this will not cause problems? Im probably not going to be doing any overclocking and I certainly won't be doing heavy overclocking, the heatsink is stock on the processor... Will this be a problem? Thanks for your help.

All the stuff you have is good but suggest you go qwith Corsair memory. Unless its to much for you to afford also put the price of the memory sticks ur planning on buying.

Im buying the computer from ibuypower.com and corsair is an extra $112 so unless it's 100% necessary i'd rather not have to spend that much extra... so the power supply and heatsink is good to go? Excellent, I really appreciate the reply.

I'd say the heatsink is fine, it may be a bit noisy though. Two silent but good heatsinks I would recommend, both reviewed in Issue 20 of Custom PC, are the Akasa AK856, and the Akasa AK862.

The AK856 has a single temperature controller fan, which is 72mm. This fan can go between 3050rpm and 6000rpm, but even on an overclocked FX-55 it didn't go faster than 3500rpm. It cools 5 degrees C better than the stock cooler as well, and the best bit is it can be had for just £11.69!

The AK862 is also very nice. It has a much bigger 92mm fan, which is controller via a fan controller which can be placed on the back panel. The fan can run at speeds between 1700rpm and 3100rpm. At 3100rpm, it cooled an overclocked FX-55 to 10 degrees C cooler than the stock heatsink fan, at 1700rpm, which is whisper-quiet, it cools to 2 degrees better than the stock heatsink fan. The best bit is, it can be picked up from Scan for £8.23!

So, either of those two are good. I can't say anything about the PSU though sorry, as I don't know which case your getting. Post the URL and I'll check it out for you tomorrow. Also, there is no point getting Corsair RAM unless you are going to overclock really far, so get the cheapest RAM possible. The best is usually Elixir.

I am getting a Trinity ATX Mid-Tower Case w/420W Power Supply as mentioned in my first post, thanks for the info and thanks for any further info you may be able to give me, i can't swap the heatsink so i hope it is okay.

There are loads of different types of Trinty cases. If you post the URL to where you are buying it from I will be able to check out the PSU for you. If the heatsink troubles you, say if it is too noisy, jsut buy the AK862 for £8. It's a steal :D

www.ibuypower.com it's the only trinity case there, i can't buy a seperate heatsink because i don't know how to install it, if i knew id build the computer myself... thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom