Linux vs windows?

clintondjv said:
Windows is for computer users whom know nothing about actual programming/functionality of the system. Linux gives you much more control over every aspect of the computers, and with Cedenga now, you can run almost any program on Linux. SuSe Pro 8.2 is a good choice if you still wish to keep that comfort feel.
Most of the programmers in the world, not such a high percentage as once but still work on Windows. Debatably some of the best if indeed it is possible to define a programmer's abilities, certainly most of the highly qualified ones. Linux gives you the ability to edit the Operating System; it doesn't make any of those uses useful. Those who could even if they wanted to are minute; those who would want to are even less, and those who actually have a reason to are in triple digits if not double.

I'm not sure if you can point out something you can do with Linux that you can't do with Windows that is actually of use to anybody? The Control you have is completely superfluous; as you don't need any of that control.

clintondjv said:
Ever with longhorn/avalon coming out...all it really is going to be is a higher GUI with higher specs needed to run it. Microsoft works ahand in hand with intel, so that people buy their newest products both. Windows is great for those who just need to do their basic tasks. I would never reccommend linux to someone who just uses it for basic purposes. Linux is a system for those wishing to have complete power over their system.
There is a more powerful GUI for higher spec PCs, and fall backs for lower spec PCs but that is in no way all it is. Indigo Communications Protocols; WinFS File System not soon afterwards for Linux to try and break again like NTFS. That and based on the Windows Server 2003 SP1 Kernal, XP SP2 Security Advancements and the hugely increased Security and Stability which comes from those things. CNet recently commented upon something most 'Computer Techs', the sort of people on here don't seem capable of realising. Longhorn will quite possibly be hard to sell after SP2 - because, like Office has problems selling 2003 and XP because people are content with XP and even 2000 and don't need to change Windows XP SP2 has done likewise, something they pointed out Windows has never had problems with in that it is OK, its is stable it is secure and its good enough for people not to need to update, or want to. In the most part it is true; I only moved to Server 2003 because I wanted Genuine Microsoft Software and that was the only 180-Day Evaluation they had on offer; but I have been using Windows XP since before SP1 without any third party Anti-Virus or Firewalls and I have had no problems at all with it. Nobody I know has, although most use Anti-Virus. The only reason I still fix PCs is because people crap their own PCs up; installing bad software downloading bad files removing drivers for some unknown reason and because their hardware isn't up to date for the latest Game.

Such people are minor; most Linux Users use it because they want to brag about how great they are that they have Linux, or because they hate Windows with a firey passion.

clintondjv said:
While many people feel comfortable with windows, by no means...and i mean NONE is it superior.

PS. Sun Microsystems Project Looking Glass looks pretty sweet as well.
I imagine that is probably your amazingly experienced opinion :D But Windows GUI is far superior, Windows Driver Layer is far more advanced allowing us to install most things in seconds, and everything in minutes and coining the phrase Plug-n-Play, Windows Security with SP2 is, per user, a whole lot more safe than Linux, Windows is just plain more stable considering the vast number of useless Computer Users who use it and how few stability problems it has. Again; Windows Server 2003 has no stability issues in the past day where I have installed about 30 programs, a number at the same time while downloading and uploading and talking to friends and using the Internet on numerous Forums and running Visual Studio to fill in my time writing my Forum; nothing happened with the 60+ Processes all vying for power. Considering Linux is a Server Kernal, if XP is more stable per user than it its not a good sign.

Sun Microsystems has yet to make an Operating Systems that actually works; or indeed any program that actually works. If they could they would not be whoring themselves out to Open-Source.

I've been running Win2K and FC3 on a dualboot system with a brand new HD.

PIII 600, 128 RAM, 80GB HD (20 Linux, roughly 60 Windows).

Win2K is lightning fast, no trouble. FC3 hogs my entire machine, it's so slow that it even occasionally locks up. I have to endure endless hard drive chugging when doing anything, it'll kill my new drive properly in the end. Terminal's slow to load, OpenOffice even longer, I installed Linux out of curiosity but if it's that slow I'm not surprised people are sticking to Windows.

I agree with iamroot. In fact, people who are just coming to computers are better off introduced to GNU/Linux right away. Any basic task that one can do under MS Windows can be just as easily done under GNU/Linux.

Oh, and most programmers use GNU/Linux.

I'm sure as time goes on people will be brought up like that; and find Windows hard, but more likely they'll go into work and find Windows much easier :D Find that they can do everything they ever did on Linux so much easier and merely contribute to the general Computer knowledge of the world instead of to the Anarchist Designs of some Cranky 60 year old Crackpots who dislike Microsoft's Windows, which to most people even now its become so, and I quote CNet 'ok' that selling Longhorn could be unusually difficult :D

30,000-40,000 Programmers alone work for Microsoft on Windows :D The thousands of partner companies work on Windows with six digit programming numbers together. Adobe, Macromedia, Nullsoft, Games Programmers, hundreds of thousands of tiny companies who don't partner with Microsoft but still make Windows Software; even the Sun Programmers will use Solaris and Linux, not purely Linux :D Are we talking about programmers who actually make things or people merely who can program? I don't know how many programmers who make things there actually are but that is far in excess of half of them. Unless we are actually talking of people who can program; in which case I'm sure most of them do use Linux but they're never going to make anything.

Back
Top Bottom