DSL Westell Modem & Router

copiche

Beta member
Hello, I have been using DSL internet w/ bellsouth using the westell modem and a Dell Wireless router sucessfully in every computer of my house for a long time which are statically ip configured so the DHCP is disabled in the router of course.

However, it came to my attention that under the configuration settings of my westell dsl modem the DHCP server Enable option is checked, so I figured that I wouldn't need this option selected if my computers are using static ip's and my router has the DHCP server/option off as well. Well after changing that option I had no internet so I had to change it back to enable the DHCP optionin order to have internet.

Question:
Why is it that I need to leave this DHCP option selected in my Westell modem if I am not using dynamically assigned ip's on my computers and router?

I realized this when I configured my brothers Earthlink modem and linksys router in which I turned off the DHCP option in the modem and left it on in the Router given that he wants dynamically assigned ip's in his computers.

I think this has to do something with it: I am using the PPPoE option in my westell modem and not "Bridged Ethernet"? in which i have to specify my username and password in it and not in the router, different of my brother in which he supplies the username and password in the Router having the PPPoE option in the Router as well.

But the DHCP question still remains in my home network.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom