Amd

mighty_chick

Fully Optimized
ok i just put in my 6600gt, neo 4 mobo, amd athlon 64 3000+ and it seems to actually run slower than the celeron. i get way better fps in games. (30fps max at medium settings on css compared to 70fps on high settings now on css) but doing normal things it doesnt seemt o have really improved to nything i can notice. on 3dmark03 i got 7640 compared to like 5834 with my 9800 pro and celeron so im happy. but it doesnt seem to be going half as good as you guys make them out to be. also on loading times. when i turn on windows it actually takes longer to load than my celeron (about 3 mins) compared to the (1min) it used to be to get to desktop. maybe theres something i need to change or fix. or maybe its because i had to reformate and i accidentally wrote over the previous partitition (i know noob thing to do) i dunno whats wrong but its not running like you guys said it would. also its running at 37-40 degrees idle, dunno under load, the paste i used was Artic Silver ceramique. any info on why it would be doing this is greatly appreciated. also when im playing games CSS, i notice like an orangey patern on the walls sometimes. and sometimes my gun is completely silver but like a net type pattern. even if the gun is supposed to be black

The reason it feels faster is most likely due to the core frequency. It's most likely similar to how I feel in comparison to my 3500+ and 3.2GHz. The 3500+ simply feels slower in everything I do. Just saying this I risk people bombarding me with their uneducated and biased opinions or a million benchmarks, but I bought my AMD64 Winchester for one reason, gaming. Although it offers me ridiculous advantages in what settings I can have the game on, I simply don't use it for much else. People don't understand that outside the benchmarks, in real-world application, the P4 is just fast. Rest assured it may feel slower to you because of the lower clock speed, but the chip is a performer in all meanings of the word. The 2.7GHz Celeron has nothing on it.

Well...

www.blackviper.com
This site is good info for streamlining your services. A new install has a lot of services running that don't really need to be.
A word of caution though. Be real careful when editing the services. They are inter-related. Turn one off and several that depend on it won't work. Also check the msconfig for start up programs you don't need to start up at boot. That really jacks up the boot time.
Just be careful.
OH don't forget to disable that nasty windows messenger.

it feels slower cause it is slower clock speed than the Celeron. But it is a powerful chip, especially in gaming. The celeron is basic fast in basic applications, cause thats what it is designed to do. Real world stuff the P4 is the best. If you want gaming performance stick with AMD

yes it pwns in gaming but i was told overall amd's just pwn intels at everything. basic everyday things and all. this seems to be running slower. also i seem to be getting orange blocks and sometimes whole wlals when playing in CSS. could this be because of the video card or the server or the drivers. i only played one server yesterday so i dont know if that was the problem or not.

That seems hard to believe. Are you sure everything is working fine? Did you get PC3200 ram yet? There is no way a Celeron is even close to an AMD 64 socket 939. The P4 isn't good for real world things. Please, understand that. People here are spreading half truths around here. The P4 is good for some multimedia applications.

yes im not kidding this is seriously making me doubt about AMD's abilities other than gaming. this is my first AMD but its not running half as good as my celeron was for normal stuff. and the loading from the time i press start til the windows comes up is way longer. anyway thats an issue but not as serious as my games. while im playing CSS i keep getting a golden wall. it looks like the inside of a bees nest. its driving me nuts. could this be drivers? could it be the 6600gt? i've heard horror stories of the 6600gt's not working right.

its the exact same cpu as u giancarlo except not o/c

Back
Top Bottom