Printing Problems

Doogie

Beta member
Hi. I've posted this elsewhere too so I hope I can resolve this problem. This appears to be a PRINTING problem as opposed to a PRINTER problem. A component crucial to the printing process seems to be missing or corrupted and I have to identify what it is.

This hasn't become a big problem yet, because my printer has a standalone copy-print facility and the printer itself works fine and I haven't had to send any faxes, but it will becaome a problem. I can't print anything from my PC and I need some help.

I have looked up the problem I have, and have found many references and solutions to the same problem, but they all seem to be related to printing from Internet Explorer.

My problem is printing from everything - Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MS Word, Word Pad - you name it and I can't print.

And it is not only my physical printer (Epson Stylus CX4600, USB connection) but every name of a valid printer in my Print window name list - printer, FAX, Acrobat PDF Writer - again, you name it and I can't print.

Just in case, I tried the suggestions relating to corrupted DLL files and downloaded them (SHDOCLC.DLL, IEPEERS.DLL), replaced the old by the new and registered them but all to no avail.

I run Windows 98 SE, and get a variety of messages depending on which software I am using.

I have run SFC and the files that have been identified by the scan as possible corrupted are:

- mfcuia32.dll
- setupx.dll
- mfc30.dll
- mfcans32.sll
- mfc030.dll

I apply the MS updates to Win 98 regularly and I think the OS is as up-to-date as possible. I also run both Zone Alarm as a firewall and Norton Antivirus with automatic update turned on.

Doug

Yes, I have done so. In fact, I deleted the printer and re-installed the whole thing also, which led to another interesting thing. The final step in installation is to print a test page, but in trying to do so I got an error message saying that the printer could not be accessed.

Doug

Hmmmm...interesting. Well, software isn't my front (hardware is) so I'll let someone with better experience with this deal with it. BTW Welcome to CF! I noticed that this is your second post and I thought I'd say hi. :)

Hi All

This to let you know that the problem reported was resolved in the following way. I was looking at print related problems on the internet and went to a Microsoft site that was talking specifically about SPOOL32 where I found the following text.

Windows 98
a. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
b. On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.
Click Selective Startup on the General tab, and then click to clear the following check boxes:
ï‚· Process Config.sys File
ï‚· Process Autoexec.bat File
ï‚· Process Winstart.bat File
ï‚· Process System.ini File
ï‚· Process Win.ini File
ï‚· Load Startup Group
ItemsNote You must reinstall the printer driver when you disable the Win.ini file because the printer and port information is stored in this file.
d. Click OK, and then quit the System Information tool.
e. Restart your computer.

ï‚· I also clicked the Create Backup button.
ï‚· followed the suggestion,
ï‚· when the system came up clicked the Restore Backup button
ï‚· reset the check boxes.
ï‚· Restarted the system

When the system came back again the printer now worked but the fax software still didn't. I deleted (after saving the phone book) the fax software, re-installed it and all is fine now.

The assumption is that one of the files had been corrupted - unfortunately I wasn't able to find out what did it - and resetting everything did the job.

I hope that my experience has helped.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom