UPS (Back up Power Suplies)

mini_2003

Daemon Poster
I'm trying to decide on which one to get, but there are so many, I don't know which one is good for me. My PSU is 520W and the rest of my specs are in my sig, but the only reason I want it is because lately the electricity has been going out a lot, and i don't want it to happen while im using my computer. I only want to be able to use the computer for 5 minutes max after the power is out, so its not like i want a crazy Back Up thing.

any suggestions or experiences
thanks

Apc...

Check out APC for back up power systems. My system is 400watts but that the worst it gets. I use a 350watt UPC from APC. Got it from Microcenter for under $40.00usd. It has a lighting warranty that is unsurpassed in the market. If you get smoked, they pay for it.
APC has a 500watt model that is I think around $129.00 at Microcenter.
www.microcenter.com
PLUS XP home and pro have autoshutdown programs that work with APC devices built in.

what is the minimum wattage that I can get , but that will also support my system?. I don't want to spend too much, but something that will hold my system for 2-3 min. 5 min max

thanks

Ups...

My system has a 400watt PSU, but only uses 270watts of that. Follow me? Your PSU is 520watts but the system is not using all of that at any given time. That is the max rating for your PSU. Don't let that mislead you in what size UPS you need. On mine, using a 350watt UPS, it gives me a 6 min run time which is plenty to clean up what ever I'm doing and get shut down. APC has a very good web site. You might want to cruise over there and use the formulas for making a determination on what size is best for you. www.apc.com

Well UPS's are designed to let your computer run for a few minutes so you can save any crucial things before you safely shut down.

Back
Top Bottom