New Extreme Edition - WTF!!!

"Haha: here is where they are; showing of course that not only are they 64-bit, but AMD64s aren't for Windows Server 2003 Enterprise or Standard, but Intel Pentium 4s are."

There it is. Read it! It would boot up. I'll find something which says it will then post that. You'll see.

It would boot up probably; but it certainly isn't for Windows Server 2003 Enterprise; its a damn powerful Server Setup I'd hate to run Athlon on there if it worked or not. Nobody would resell from it.

i dont think the FX-55 is used for servers anyway..they are used more for gaming. If you are going to go with server might as well get opterons.

Why are we talking about servers anyway? What you've got to realise, LK, is that we are comparing an old processor (FX-55) to a brand new one, and the FX-55 is holding it's ground. Maybe we should wait until the FX-57 comes out, if it comes out at the right time, on 4th April, and then we can see how AMD's newest processor with a new core performs against Intel's new processor with an old core:D

They're not; but the Opterons are twice as expensive as the Xeons :D So if you want a Server you'll end up getting Xeons, and if you want more than a Xeon can do you'd get an Itanium2 because if you're growing you'll eventually need what an Itanium can do beyond the Opteron, and until then you'll get near Opteron Performance anyway.

Very good point :D I would like to see the FX-57 Scores but it would have to be very good to even half the PCMark 04 difference.

You don't need as much cache as an Itanium2 will give you. The effects are minimal going from 1MB to 2MB L2, so what is the point going even higher? I'd be suprised if the I2s take off, as they will be very expensive.

You need 9Meg when there are four plus Processors. They aren't expensive already. In fact even the low end Xeons with 4Meg before Dual Core are only going to be $790+, when brought in thousands of course according to Intel.

So if I want a low end Xeon I can buy a thousand of them for $790 each :D Sounds a great dual...NOT! The FX-57 comes out in 4 days time, and so do the Venice cores. Intel, get ready to be beaten to submission!

Back
Top Bottom