Sony VIAO Laptops

xTc

Baseband Member
Hi, im planning to buy a Sony VAIO laptop in the near future and would like some suggestions and thought of the VAIO. And i also would like some questions answered:

Alot of the VAIO processors are Intel Centrino, is it better than a P4, wats the pros and cons?

Also some are Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735 (1.70AGHz5, 2MB L2 cache), what is Pentum M and wats 1.70AGHz?

Also, which models would u recommend for general use, i don't want 1 that would be too heavy but just not 1 with a mini screen.

Finally, do u think the VAIO is worth wat it costs? with looks and performance in consideration.

thanks.

Pentuim M's are awesome! It's probably the only good Intel Processor out. :) It uses barely any energy and is fast

Intel Centrino (Or the combination of Pentium M and it's supporting chipset) is excellent for laptops due to longer battery life coupled with excellent performance. The Pentium M processor 1.7 will offer you the kind of performance you're likely to see in a 3.2GHz+ Intel Pentium 4. However it uses a lot less energy and runs a lot cooler as well.

VAIO isn't too bad. I might suggest having a look at what other places like Dell might have to offer you, but other than that chances are you'll be getting a good system for the price. If you don't like the price you can always compare. I'm not, in part due to being lazy, going to look around for comparable laptop prices. I think every consumer should do a little bit of their own research. It's your computer after all. So nobody cares as much as you do.

VAIO laptops are awesome. The best one out there are the moment is the VGN-FS115Z. It costs £1,167.36 from microdirect.co.uk but if you live in the US it may be cheaper. The specs for the FS11 are :

1.7GHz Pentium M (you want to get a Pentium M over a Pentium 4)
512MB RAM (plenty)
128MB GeForce Go 6200 TurboCache
100GB 4,200rpm hardrive (largest in any laptop
DVD writer and CD rewriter and writer
15.4in 1280 x 800 X-Black TFT screen (lush!)
2.9kg
364mm wide
265mm deep
36mm high
Built in Wireless G
Windows XP SP2

That is one sweet laptop! Get it if it's in your budget.

wow, that is 1 sweet laptop and it fits in my budget perfectly with a little to spare. I was looking at the VGN-S360P for it is very light which is considerably advantagous for me to carry around but the problem is the screen is a tiny 13.3". Then i was considering the PCG-K47, it has a larger monitor of 15.4" but it weighs much more heavier and has a processor of P4 3.2Ghz, which i pressume is not as good as Pentuim M.

So i guess the VGN-FS115Z seems to be much like a perfect laptop for me, but maybe i'll do a lil more research on stuff b4 i make my decision.

Thanks for all your help.

That's OK. If you can, get your hands on the Custom PC magazine issue 20. Hey, wait a sec. Look on their website http://www.custompc.co.uk and look on the left links. Choose elite, and it shoul be named as the elite laptop. Click on it and there will be a review there.

EDIT: They haven't updated the elite yet, but here are some things about the laptop.

CD Ripping : 1.17
MPEG-2 encoding : 0.95
Image editing: 0.92
Overall: 1.00

The scores are pretty simple really. 1.17 means that the laptop was 17% faster than their reference PC. This is where you see how good the laptop is. The reference PC is a 2.6GHz Pentium 4c with 1GB of Corsair XMS 4000 RAM and a 120GB WD1200JB 7200rpm hard drive. The laptop did really well. Just to compare it to something, here are the scores of a 4000+ AMD with SLI and which is water cooled.

CD Ripping: 1.38
MPEG-2 encoding: 1.26
Image editing: 1.61
Overall: 1.42

So the laptop is actually pretty good, especially as the SLI PC cannot exactly be used on the go:D

Back
Top Bottom