Hard Drive Issue!! Help Please

mini_2003

Daemon Poster
My friend just built a new computer, and he used some hard drive with the new setup, and he formatted it and installed xp pro on it and everything is running fine. But he recently got a IDE Maxtor hard drive from another computer, and he just tried to switch the hard drives, and it didn't work. it starts, shows the intel screen, then says disk read error has occured...press clt alt del to restarrt. but it is recognized in the bios.
i don't know how to help him, because he also doesn't have the drivers on a cd.

any help would be appreciated
thanks

hmmm is he trying to connect them both at the same time or only the new one by its self????sounds like the jumpers arnt set right

Set one of the harddrives on master, which would be the old one, so don't touch the old one, but on the new one put it as a slave on the jumpers (little black thingys covering pins in the back of the harddrive) look in the harddrive manual how to change it to slave.

BanChan said:
Set one of the harddrives on master, which would be the old one, so don't touch the old one, but on the new one put it as a slave on the jumpers (little black thingys covering pins in the back of the harddrive) look in the harddrive manual how to change it to slave.

he's tried that too, but he wants to use the one that isn't working as master, when he slaved the one that doesn't work, it workd

So it's a Maxtor drive that's giving him problems? Those are usally pretty good about jumpers...

Look around on it and see if you can find something about master single(if you're using the drive without another HD or CD on that channel) I know Western Digital drives are very picky about this...

ok, at first, he put in the old one which worked. then he took it out and put in the other one. that didn't work and it was on master. so he took it out, mad the old one master and the "new" one slave. like that, it worked. so he tried again and it didn't work with the "new" one as master only.

here is what he says

: when i have it as a master i dont have any other HDs on, as a master i have the jumper in the first up/down slot next to the ribbon
: right after the one single pin
: j48
: and there is no other drive on the ribbon
i need to use this drive bc all the info is on it and this comp is better than the old one it was on

Back
Top Bottom