Did I damage my video card?

Snoop65

Baseband Member
I recently tried overclocking my Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 with "coolbits". Before I tried this I had no problems with the card. After overclocking I tried playing UT2004 and the game was choppy and eventually froze after about ten minutes. I then restored the factory settings and the game remained choppy. I backed my driver up, things improved, but every now and then I experince some choppiness. Did I permanently damage the card? I have a Dell 8300, Pent4 3.0gig, 2 gigs of ram, 120gb sata, 160gb sata and 305 watt power supply. HELP!!!

Hmmm, the system should be able to handle it, mabey the card just isn't powerful enough to handle the game.

Well, he said he had no troubles before, so just take the card out, and take the ram out, then put it back in, and then reinstall all the drivers. If that doesn't work, then I dont know.

BanChan on right track...

But if you pull the vid card you're not going to be able to navigate to the shut down screen. Hitting the power button is a bit rough on things so let's avoid that. Instead go to the device manager and uninstall the video card. Click apply and ok as needed and go back to the desktop. REBOOT. The operating system will discover the "new" device and install it. If it continues to give you fits double check the cards setup in properties.
And don't remove the ram cards from the system. They have nothing to do with this problem.

i dont think he ment remove it then turn it on i think he ment just remove it maybe blow out some dust in the sockets and simply put em back in it may sounds like it does nothing but belive it or not simply removeing things and placing em back right away can solve some hair pulling problems at lease with me

Edit - what i just remembered is that i had some problems with coolbits after overclocking a little to high even after i put stock clock back it would still mess up with these dots all over the place but it when away after a formatted but what im geting at is did u back up your registy before doin the coolbit regedit if so just load the reg before the edit and it not i think system restore restores the reg but im not sure but it doesnt heart to try so just restore to a date before the edit was applied

Thank you everybody for your replies. I have tried system restore but that didn't solve the problem. I will try some driver updates. What makes this even more puzzling is that I tried running Doom3 and didn't encounter any problems. So I un installed UT2004 for thinking it was a game problem, reinstalled it and still the same choppiness. AAAGGGGGGHHHH!!!! I'm still open for anymore suggestions. Thanks again guys!!!

I don't think the Geforce FX 5200 was ever meant to be overclocked and show great results. I use to have a FX 5200 and it was fine at the time. To me, it's a low budget video card.

i think you may have damaged your card, dell ussally includes video cards with no fan on them only heatsinks.

Back
Top Bottom