Installing Linux

Haha. When you use GNU/Linux, you shouldn't compare it with Windows cos you might be disappointed as you expect GNU/Linux to run and use like Windows. Instead you should look at it from a fresh perspective. You also shouldn't expect all the "wonderful" audio and video software available on Windows to be availabe for GNU/Linux. Windows has been around for much longer time than GNU/Linux. Why don't you try XMMS, Rhythmbox for audio and XINE and Mplayer for video. They work great for me=)

I been told that before, but it's really hard. FC3 loads too quick and the Helix player and CD players don't work. They won't play any of my .wmv or .mpg videos and the CD player claims that my brand new DVD-Rewriter has an error, which it can't have, cause i installed FC3 just a couple of minutes before with it! I think i found out how to get WINE, and i'll be using the 'athlon' package. Hopefully, it works out fine, but i'll probably end-up with Win XP again, because my hardware firewall, ZoneAlarm and AVG should keep my PC clean. But with FC3, is the firewall that good or should i look for an alternative?

Haha. THe Helix Player sucks. It can only play Real format videos and Ogg Vorbis audio files. Get Mplayer or Xine. They play videos in almost every format imaginable.

I used to have a Win XP Pro installation with Zonealarm and AVG but it still got infested with viruses and malware within 6 months. You'll never be safe with Windows. There are just too many viruses and malware out there that target Windows. Anti-virus proggies can't possibly detect them all.

The firewall built-into FC3 is fine. You might want to try Firestarter though. It has a nice GUI front-end.

http://www.fs-security.com/

I have to warn you though. FC3 can be very unstable so don't put important files on your HDD without backing-up. FC3 uses cutting-edge software that can be extremely unstable at times. Debian is stable but it sacrifices cutting-edge tech.

Ok, here's what i did. I partitioned my 40GB HDD into 2 parts. 5000MB for the OS and programs and the rest for user files. Yup, i uninstalled FC3 as you can guess. I was just disappointed, really. I have a hardware firewall, Norton Internet Security with all updates, ZoneAlarm up to max. protection, recommended settings for my LAC, and i'm in the midst of updating Windows with SP2. I don't visit that many sites and my GMail account doesn't give me any spam. I recently scanned for viruses and nothing came up. PC's been running fine and when Windows is updated fully, i'll be able to breath easily...hopefully. Sorry for not giving Linux a chance, but maybe FC3's not for me. I'm a guy who values Windows' exclusive (at least that's what i know them to be for now) features. Therefore, i just had to be able to use .exe files. I had to be able to use WMP 10. Maybe when i'm able to manage my own PC fully, with a good internet connection, then maybe i can try out other distros, but it's too much hassle and i'll probably end-up paying something.

iamroot sorry about that. I'm in the process of clearing out all of this little jerks posts.
setishock

Back
Top Bottom