confused about dvd writers

dhawald

Solid State Member
i am planning to buy a dvd writer
but i am confused with the dvd+,-r and dual rayer stuff.

i want to know which is which one.
please tell me know the
capacity-writing speed of each one of them in the current drives available.
which is the 4.7 gb and which is 8 gb capacity.

There is DVD-R is single-writing capability. DVD-RW is rewritable capability. DVD+RW is similar to DVD-RW but better with some more features. Such as not having to completely clear the disc like a DVD-RW. DVD+R is single writing to a disc which is typically aimed at better compatability with DVD players, but there is no noticeable difference I believe. And dual layer simply means that the disc literally has two layers in which data can be burned to. This doubles the amount of space (Two the 8GB or whatnot capacity) but is also slower, and burns at around 2.4X or something like that.

You don't even really need to understand these to make a purchase. You'll probably forget anyways. It's not all that important for typical use.

Be careful...

There are some good brands and some not so good brands out there.
Personally I use a Samsung 16x dual layer dvd burner. $59.00usd at Microcenter. It burns + and - r and rw. It also burns cd r and rw disc's.
Dual layer dvd disc's right now are a bit pricey but as the use of them goes up along with cost of making the dvd disc's goes down so will the price per disc.
Shop carefully. You get what you pay for...

Back
Top Bottom