Pentium 4 vs. Athlon 64

Thanks, man. But i remembered that i hd a problem. When i booted up, it 'said' (bad term, but oh well) '200MHz'. I can't remember exactly, and i don't wanna boot it just for a few seconds for obvious reasons, but i think it was referring to the bus. Now, this can't be right. The motherboard's supposed to be able to handle the 1600MHz Bus, right? Or do i need to go into the BIOS and do some tweaking?

For an AMD64 it still has the "multiplier" with a normal BUS speed. So you would be 200MHz multiplied by 9 to make 1800MHz. Could be something with the BUS. Therefore you should review your current BIOS settings.

Its best to get it into Windows before you start trying to work out what the Processor is doing. Is there not a way you can tell the processor speed in Fedora?

Hmm...i confused. There probably is a way to find out the CPU specs in FC3, but i don't know it if there is. I just intend to get 'good ol' Win Xp installed on there, just for the sake of viewing the 'My Computer Properties' and seeing 'AMD Athlon(tm) 64 1.80GHz lol

It's probably best to just get Windows XP on the system ASAP anyway. I'm not all that good with Linux.

Yeah, but i need SP2. You see, i can't afford to pay £90 for a legal version, so i gotta use a pirated copy. But can i download SP2 and other updates for it? That's the problem with Windows, really. Linux is free in money terms.

If you have a friend with a legal copy you can download updates from the Download Site for Network Installs, and then install them on your PC.

Sorry, but i don't understand what you mean, LK. I'm gonna download SP2 and install it (perhaps a bad idea but i don't mind living dangerously), so hopefully, everything will be great. The A64 2800+ is labelled as:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
2800+
1.81GHz

With the MB, i got a disk which has something to overclock with in Windows. It reads that the multiplier is '9.0' and then a '200' in the corner which produces '1800' in a bigger box. I think this is the bus speed, but i had to re-install Win XP Pro, and i forgot to reinstall that program this time round. Something like 'EasyTune4' anyway.

Back
Top Bottom