Pentium 4 vs. Athlon 64

Yak yak yak, keep speaking wrong about the myth that Intel somehow does better in multi-tasking even though it sucks.

Oh no. I'm getting too many different opinions. I keep the family PC on for about 8 hours a day, so i guess the heat and noise is important. That's why i may go with AM, probably. I was thinking of getting the 754-pin Sempron 2600+ with an nForce3 motherboard, so that i can upgrade to a 64-bit 1 if necessary, but i doubt i'll need 64-bit as that's supposed to be only better for gaming, right?

64-bit is great for a number of other things, least of all gaming. But you could get an EM64T processor in a Celeron D Motherboard and while Prescotts are loud and hot; a Celeron will not make a great deal of sound with a reasonably cheap fan and still be as cool as an AMD64.

But yeah; that sounds like a perfectly reasonable machine :D Tell us how it goes.

Ok, i got it today. I got:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
512MB Elixir DDR400 SDRAM (1 stick)
400-Watts 'Win Power' PSU
Gigabyte K8NS nForce3 754-pin Motherboard
Toshiba Samsung 16x DVD-/+RW

All together, it cost me £210.

I used a 40GB ATA 7,200rpm HDD with it and installed Linux Fedora Core 3. Sadly, i was disappointed with FC3, so i'll have to wait until Windows XP is installed for me to be able to notice the power of it, as i'm a total newbie to Linux. Thanks to everyone for their help, and hopefully, it's money well-spent!

Lord Kalthorn said:
64-bit is great for a number of other things, least of all gaming. But you could get an EM64T processor in a Celeron D Motherboard and while Prescotts are loud and hot; a Celeron will not make a great deal of sound with a reasonably cheap fan and still be as cool as an AMD64.

But yeah; that sounds like a perfectly reasonable machine :D Tell us how it goes.

Why the hell would anyone get an EM64T processor?

A low-level consumer who wants a 64-bit Intel of course. The reason is at the processor states. It's 64-bit ready.

acphenom said:
Ok, i got it today. I got:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
512MB Elixir DDR400 SDRAM (1 stick)
400-Watts 'Win Power' PSU
Gigabyte K8NS nForce3 754-pin Motherboard
Toshiba Samsung 16x DVD-/+RW

All together, it cost me £210.

I used a 40GB ATA 7,200rpm HDD with it and installed Linux Fedora Core 3. Sadly, i was disappointed with FC3, so i'll have to wait until Windows XP is installed for me to be able to notice the power of it, as i'm a total newbie to Linux. Thanks to everyone for their help, and hopefully, it's money well-spent!
Well that's certainly a better set up than with a Celeron D! :D Very good positioning on the stuff - should last you a very long time.

Good luck with getting Windows on there and seeing how it runs!

Back
Top Bottom