Tower makes siren noise and computer dies

JimHa

Baseband Member
Hi everyone, I've been working on this computer for about 2 weeks now with NO luck whatsoever. Basically it will operate normally for about 5 minutes then the screen will go blank and the tower will beep kind of like a siren. I've tried defragging, reformatting, playing around with FSB speeds and still nothing. Any help as to why this is happening and what I can do would GREATLY be appreciated. For reference I'm using an ABIT motherboard, Athlon XP processor, running windows XP pro and I made this computer over the summer.

Any other questions do not hesitate to ask.
-James

Try to make sure everything is connected securely. Mine didn't make noise, but after two minutes it shut off.. i fixed that realizing the power supply cord to the motherboard was loose.

It sounds like your proc is overheatin m8, that might be what the frikin SIREN means (lol) my best guess is that the siren means that its too hot. also unless you,ve taken out the HD to defrag it, how would you possibly have been able to defrag it in the 5 mins that it stays on? also, make sure you applied the thermal grease on the proc right, and make sure the fan is set right.

try turning it on, and goto the bios and let it sit and see what temp the cpu goes at

You probaly tried to oc it and you went just a little to high...and seeing that i have an abit motherboard and i did the same thing its set to go of at a certain temp .....

Thanks a lot guys I'm gonna check the temp a couple of times then check the up on the fan. My case definitely isn't very air friendly but I can modify that. I'll write back the results tonight.

Happy Easter to everyone celebrating and thanks for the help
-James

Just giving an update, I wasn't able to last night since it was Easter I had some family over.

The computer is now being tested. After about 30 mins of watching temperatures it would shut off at 176F it would hit this pretty quickly. I knocked the CPU off temp up to 190F since that's what my comp is running with the same processor and doing fine.

Turns out there was a wire conflicting with the CPU fan which also didn't help upon me opening up the inside. I moved the wire and have it electric taped to a group of wires. All wires have now been neatly arranged. I also added another fan... this thing is DEEISSSEELLLL. The power of the two fans(1 on the heatsink the other nearby) are working together nicely. It's currently in the BIOS as we speak and running a temperature test till 10PM (another hour and a half)

Thanks for all your help. I documented the final problem in case someone else has this same problem for future reference

-James

Check all plugs and cables, then make sure you didn't short circut anything.

Back
Top Bottom