Network adapter won't work with my new computer...

Movieguy

Baseband Member
I recently got a new tower, which I attached to my old monitor and speakers. It's an HP Pavillion tower, model a805n, with a pentium 4 processor, 160 gigabytes of hard drive space, and it came with Windows XP.

Everything works fine except for one thing. For my old tower, I've been connected to the internet through a router on another computer, that I access with an adapter. It's a Netgear MA111 adapter. It works just fine on the old Dell tower, but when I try to install the thing on my new HP tower, the tower suddenly shuts itself down and restarts, and it'll keep doing that every time it tries to start windows, until I just unplug the adapter, at which point I have to do a system restore to fix the whole mess.

What could be causing this? Does XP have a problem with this thing? Do I have to buy a new adapter now?

Have you tried different PCI slots? Maybe some other device driver is conflicting with it, or the slot is just faulty.

I'm not sure what you mean by PCI slots. This adapter uses the USB ports, and yes, I've tried all three of it's USB ports, and the result is always the same.

ahhhh...i have a webcam that does the exact same thing, whenever i plug it into the usb, the comp reboots. i aint a clue if this is fixable, so i presumed the cam was just fooked...how about installng some new USB drivers?

did your comp come with any floppy disks, or cd, containing drivers? if not, put USB drivers in google and see if you can find some usb drivers for the OS ur running (xp, 98, 2000, etc)

u dont need any particular driver for a network adapter, just USB drivers (if this is the problem, anyway)

Back
Top Bottom