My floppy drive's driving me crazy

Uh....no, all I'm finding is a "remove" option, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to remove it. There's a disconnect option, but I can't select it for some reason, and I'm not finding anything that says disable anywhere...maybe this darn computer won't let me disable it for some reason.

Weird...

I guess if you remove it you can still get it back... but its dead anyway. Try it, but that disable option should defintly be there...unless its not installed properly in the first place which might be why. Just press remove in that case. I'll figure out how to install it properly for you

At least for the moment, you'll have silence (ahh bliss)

*KaGe*

Yeah, you can simply remove it or delete the floppy disk in the Device Manager. It is not used at all these days. If you ever need to use it again (which I highly doubt), then click "refresh" and it will auto-detect the missing floppy disk and attempt to reinstall the drivers from Windows.

Perhaps during boot up, it's scanning for virus during startup? Open Norton Antivirus uncheck floppy disk in A for boot viruses if available. You can also disable virus scans from BIOS (which in my case always triggers the floppy--not anymore), that will buy some time.

Ah right, Thanks for that TRDCorolla1. I wasn't exactly sure how to re-enable it.

The fact that no one needs one these days is not true. I have a midi keyboard for example that can use midi data, and a floppy drive is included. Though I know later models now have hard drives (me want one :p ) and some people still have Windows 98 with boot up discs being a neccesity hehe...

Though I get where your coming from.

Just remove it like me n him say... It'll save you from the dreaded sound :D

*KaGe*

I remember in Windows 98 there was a way to disable the floppy scans during startup besides going into the BIOS. You have to open up Notepad and search for a file but I forgot the name of it. Once in there, you can set the parameters on the floppy. It's probably one of the .ini files you have to tweak. It's been so long since I've done it that I can't remember at all. But it bypasses the floppy. Maybe I'm mistaking this for something else?

Floppy can also be used to help in reformat and reinstall Windows too. Forgot about that. A lot of people these days also use the Windows CD to do that which is the same thing. It has it's own format utility.

Ok, now this is really strange...

I just removed the floppy drive, and restarted the whole thing...but it still lights up and starts spinning while windows starts, and still spins when I try to put in a CD! And it only does this when I log in with my user name, which I do all the time...if I just close the login box and get taken to the default desktop, it doesn't do that.

Never mind. The drive may have re-appeared on the device manager, but I found the controller for it, and finally disabled the whole thing. The computer runs just fine now. Thanks for your help. :D

Back
Top Bottom