career in computers???

confused_007

Beta member
Hi people.There seem to be a lotta knowledgeable folks around here,so here goes..
Im currently doing computer engg.,and am in the penultimate year.My programming skills are not so good,but im interested in computer networking.
I would reallllly like to know if there is any programming in networking,as im considering it(computer networking) as a career option.In fact,ive already started MCSE.
If there is any programming req.,which language should i emphasize on?I can work on it.
Also, one last question-im gonna apply to grad colleges now,and wuz wondering what is the name of the networking course-does computer science mean the same thing??
If anyone cud hel pme,id be much obliged.
cheers
:)

Computer Science is strictly programming, specializing in all different kind of languages. It always help to use some programming in networking. Simple knowledge on creating batch files, working around in DOS, creating visual basic scripts will help you in networking. I watch my former boss (Network Aministrator) create some of those batch files to help enhance startup process over the network. He incorporate visual basic with his network too. He also creates some web pages so I guess you need to understand web related programming. That's from my experience with him. Don't know if it's necessary to learn other languages, but might come in handy someday.

Perhaps other people with more network knowledge can shed some light on that.

Computer Science is strictly programming

What the hell? Where did you find that out?

CS is far far FAR more broad then that. If you take it in college, you learn about different network abilities, security, programming, hardware, software design, everything. While the core of all this IS programming, it's definately not restricted to this.

thxs all

omg!!!
I had this doubt for a long,long time.I'd like to thank all of the poeple who took time out to reply.Thanks guys.
Ur the best
:)

rakedog said:
What the hell? Where did you find that out?

CS is far far FAR more broad then that. If you take it in college, you learn about different network abilities, security, programming, hardware, software design, everything. While the core of all this IS programming, it's definately not restricted to this.

The Computer Science department may have one or two courses in networking but that is not their main focus as seen here (CalPoly catalog, Computer Science):

http://www.csupomona.edu/~academic/catalog/col_schol/CoScience.pdf

Now if you were to compare that to a Computer Information Technology (Business Administration) major at CalPoly, you will see that the CIT will focus on general hardware-operating systems-mainframes-database design-systems analysis-web design-client/server integration-LAN-Network Management-etc, etc.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~academic/catalog/col_schol/CoBus.pdf

Don't take my word for it, look at the two catalogs linked above and compare. You'll see a pretty big difference.

Back
Top Bottom