Msi Nx6600gt

mighty_chick

Fully Optimized
ok i just got my 6600GT and found out that its minimum power requirements are 350w. i looked on-line before and saw 300w somewhere, so im wondering since i only have a 300w PSU will it still work? other things ni the case are:

dvd-rom
cd-rw
floppy
hard drive
mobo
cpu
video card

thats it. im wondering if the PSU will burn out mainly. because i have no more money at all from the cpu/mobo/video card upgrades and i cant get a PSu right now.

i know its only been like 15 mins but with like 30 people on i thought i'd get an answer by now. i guess nobody knows.

well right now the 9800 pro i have asks for 300 watts and my computer is running fine. so im wondering if those extra 50watts will burn my PSU or if ill be good for a while. i can keep it open to keep it cool. im just wondering if the PSU will get wrecked

i guess if i have to ill only use one optical drive. and unplug my floppy since i never use it

I cant see ur power supply burning up, what i can see happening is the system low on power and shutting down b/c of that. There was a web site out there where u list your components and it tells you what power supply is needed. Remember that the 6600GT "recommends" 350W PSU, maybe u only need 300W. The things that i think would put u over may be the optical drives, but i think ur fine.

ok well im planning on only using the dvd-drive for now until i get a new PSu if i can. also thats not the recommended wattage..thats teh minimum requirements

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD

I used this site when I was building my rig, it's awesome. Just pick out whatever you have and it will calculate how much wattage you need. It hasn't been updated for awhile as you can see since it still doesn't have 6600 GT's to choose from, but I would suggest picking out from the 6800 series since even if it is a couple watts more, you'l know to subtract a few if it is over your PSU's limit.

minimum it says 257watts...282 if i put in my dvd rom. doesnt PCI-ex take up more power than AGP?

Yeah, but I dunno how much more. I think you should just get a new PSU. Get like a 325W or something or if you can't find one then just get a 350. Cuz even if you do have enough room, the spare watts are barely there and it might cause instability, it would just be safer to have the extra watts and juice for your system. So do yourself a favor and get one that's no more than 350, but no less than say 325 or so.

Back
Top Bottom