New Extreme Edition - WTF!!!

Is that when there out!!!! Wow gud for you, will u bench it for us and just take some pictures of the cpu itself!!!!

ardy89 said:
Is that when there out!!!! Wow gud for you, will u bench it for us and just take some pictures of the cpu itself!!!!

I will have it as soon as Newegg puts them out and then ill buy dry ice and sweeeetttt

Check out the Intel Pentium 3.73 Prescott Benchmarks: here

In the end; everything this year that is not Dual Core is a stop-gap. The Extreme Edition beats the FX-55 but its $100 more, its not really that much though; considering they're both on either side of $1,000. However to say its a completely useless processor and that it is dreadfully hot would be throwing it down more than it should be. Its a great overclocker; you'd get it to 4Ghz without doing anything and then beyond, it has 2Megs L2 Cache and if you're buying an FX-55 and you don't want to play games more than you want to do anything real then the $100 is going to be worth it. Some people will be buying Processor now, and buying Dualies in Mid-2006 for a Longhorn PC; they will want a Stopgap and Intel offers one.

Its not even that hot, not as hot at least as the 3.4 EE Version, and even if it was as hot as that - if you're buying a thousand dollar processor you're not going to be using a cheap arse Fan on it anyway, if even a Fan.

The EE beats the FX-55??? Oh yeah of course NOT! The FX-55 OWNS the EE and beats it in EVERYTHING apart from video encoding. The FX-55 is amazing, and when the FX-57 with a San Diego core comes out in April that will be sweet. Even better will be the FX-55 and FX-57 strained silicon versions, which should overclock to way past 3.0GHz, closing in on 3.5GHz.

Honestly, I don't see how the EE beats the FX-55, and even then the FX-57 will beat anything Intel can throw at it.

If you look at the benchmarks you have shown, the FX-55 thrashs the EE at games. For Christ sake even an Athlon 3500+ beats the EE at Far Cry! Like I said, the EE is amazing at video encoding as it has Hyper-Threading, but the FX-55 beats the EE in mp3 encoding. In 3D Studio Max, the FX beats the EE, and the P4 570 beats the EE as well! OK, the EE beats the FX in everything else on that page, but just wait until the FXs can support SSE3 - then who will be laughing! US HA!

You says the EE is better than the FX-55. Tom's Hardware calls the new EE "an Expensive Facelift"! Who would buy an EE? Anyway, if anyone is thinking of getting the 3.73GHz Extreme Edition, wait until the Toledo, or even the San Diego, cores for the FXs come out and then we will be unstoppable and we will rule the world! MU HA HA HA!!!

needforspeed said:
The EE beats the FX-55??? Oh yeah of course NOT! The FX-55 OWNS the EE and beats it in EVERYTHING apart from video encoding. The FX-55 is amazing, and when the FX-57 with a San Diego core comes out in April that will be sweet. Even better will be the FX-55 and FX-57 strained silicon versions, which should overclock to way past 3.0GHz, closing in on 3.5GHz.
Haha; it beats the FX-55 in all but one non-gaming test. Even if you could overclock an AMD to 3, 3.5Ghz - you would have to compare it to the maximum Intels can get up to with the Phase Cooling Kits you'd need to get an AMD to 3Ghz; and I don't imagine anybody would think an AMD at 3Ghz would beat an Intel at the same percentage overclocked, 5.7Ghz, or even at the rate you'd get it to from the same Cooling an AMD would need at that speed, around 4.7, 4.8...

needforspeed said:
Honestly, I don't see how the EE beats the FX-55, and even then the FX-57 will beat anything Intel can throw at it.
We shall see... we shall see. But if you can't see how the EE beats the FX-55 even with the Tests in front of you you're very strange indeed ;)

needforspeed said:
If you look at the benchmarks you have shown, the FX-55 thrashs the EE at games. For Christ sake even an Athlon 3500+ beats the EE at Far Cry! Like I said, the EE is amazing at video encoding as it has Hyper-Threading, but the FX-55 beats the EE in mp3 encoding. In 3D Studio Max, the FX beats the EE, and the P4 570 beats the EE as well! OK, the EE beats the FX in everything else on that page, but just wait until the FXs can support SSE3 - then who will be laughing! US HA!
The FX-55 beats the EE once :D As you said, in MP3 encoding; I'm not sure where you found the 3D Studio max thing where the FX beats the EE but it would be interesting to see...

Laughing at your own stupidity doesn't count ;)

needforspeed said:
You says the EE is better than the FX-55. Tom's Hardware calls the new EE "an Expensive Facelift"! Who would buy an EE? Anyway, if anyone is thinking of getting the 3.73GHz Extreme Edition, wait until the Toledo, or even the San Diego, cores for the FXs come out and then we will be unstoppable and we will rule the world! MU HA HA HA!!!
It is an expensive facelift - its a stopgap until the Dual Cores for those who want a powerful Processor now, and can afford one now, and then when the Dualies come out. That is all it is - the same for the FX-57, and any Single Core Processor that's need Budget from now on.

I'm sure... I'm sure... we shall see, eh?

I'll write more in a minute, but...

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050221/prescott-10.html

Look at the first test and you will see the FX-55 beats the EE by 3 seconds. Not an amazing margin, true, but it still beats it.

Posted by Lord Kalthorn :

I'm not sure where you found the 3D Studio max thing where the FX beats the EE but it would be interesting to see...

If you can get that wrong what else may be wrong...

A small quote from techreport.com :

"I should probably say a word or two about the P4 Extreme Edition 3.73GHz. At its customary price of $999, the Extreme Edition was never a bargain hunter's dream chip. This new 3.73GHz version performs comparably to the previous 3.46GHz one, but no better. The move to a Prescott-based Extreme Edition processor was no doubt inevitable, and the move does bring 64-bit support, but it's an even trade. Go buy an Athlon 64 3500+ if you want a gamer's CPU. It's faster than any Extreme Edition, and you can pocket the $727 you save (or better yet, buy an obscenely expensive graphics card.) Personally, I'd rather have a Pentium 4 660 than an Extreme Edition 3.73GHz. Without SpeedStep or the C1E halt state, the Extreme Edition is less attractive than its 600-series siblings."

Seems not everyone agrees with you...

Back
Top Bottom